Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

The soon-to-be "New & Improved" Petaluma Safeway

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Re: The soon-to-be "New & Improved" Petaluma Safeway

Postby ptlmafrnd » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:54 am

i shop at raley's weekly and i never, honestly never, find anything expired. i check the dates carefully and everything is fine. every now and then i go to g&g out of convenience and i experience the same expiration issues that was experienced at safeway. i just avoid items like that at g&g. raley's is the best store in town, combined with trader joes, hands down.
ptlmafrnd

Postby MyUserName » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:33 am

I am mostly a Raleys shopper however tried the new Safeway about 3 months ago. I kept going back to Safeway due to what i found to be lower prices on the food items I buy and the $10.00 coupon which was generated occasionally was a plus. Unfortunately, in the last week I too have noticed expired items. Just Tuesday, searching for cottage cheese, I had to dig deep into the case to find a fresh one, at least 6 were expired. I mentioned it to an employee but, reading about the yogurt expiration situation doesnt give me much confidence in the QC now that the grand opening hoopla is behind them. Seems like the dairy department at Safeway needs some regrouping? Nonetheless, Raleys remains my tried and true!
MyUserName

Postby PennyMoney » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:51 am

I love the customer service at Raley's. I put in a special order in the Health Food Dept of an item they do not carry. They will order anything for you! Excellent! Above and beyond expectations.

We do 50% of our grocery shopping at Raleys, 48% at Trader Joe's and about 2% elsewhere.
PennyMoney

Postby Bear » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:44 pm

i too do most of my shopping at raley's. the store manager is kind as can be and the employees are as well. they also sponsor/donate to a lot of events in town. they are in a competitive business so raley's is now offering "something extra" where every time your shop your points turn into vouchers that you can use for free groceries. hopefully they succeed and stay in town. trader joe's is my #2 fav store in town.
Bear

Postby 2182 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Recent news program showed Safeway being the #1 in incorrect pricing when it comes to checkout........over charging. Just bringing things to light ;)

Postby PetalumaGal » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:47 am

I was purchasing some wine at Safeway. The check out clerk said to me "State your birthday". I said "No". She said "You have to in order to buy this alcohol". I asked "What happened to swiping the driver's license?" She said "We don't do that anymore. Just make up a date". I made up a date and told her I would not likely purchase alcohol at that store again. Can't they imagine an ID thief listening to a person's birthdate then carefully watching for their debit pin number? Wow. No regard for security of customers.
PetalumaGal

Postby StickeyWicket » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Safeway over Raley's any day....they have excellent customer service.

Raley's is too expensive and G&G has steadily gone down hill for years especially the produce.

No matter where I shop and Traders get my business regularly too, I always check expiration dates.
StickeyWicket

Postby 2182 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:42 pm

I'll agree with you Sticky that G&G produce lags behind others. ;) However general prices are better than Safeway. Sea food, especially is better than Safeway (both quality and price). And I like G&G because you never have to worry about crossing picket lines and being verbally abused, unlike Safeway :evil:

I too check expiration dates no matter where I shop? 8-)

Postby nightowl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 pm

I shop primarily at G&G, and I haven't had a problem with their produce. Things go in and out of season, so items like asparagus and artichokes aren't always at their peak, but that's the same everywhere. I generally buy produce only when it is in season. What specific problems have you other shoppers had? I really appreciate the fact that G&G carries locally grown items like Soda Rock tomatoes, Serres Ranch blueberries, etc. in season. They have the best locally caught Bodega Bay Dungeness crab (prices too!), local Clover dairy products, Harris Ranch and Niman Ranch meats, Rocky and Rosie chickens, local cheeses, Gatti and Soda Rock seedlings, Neve cut flowers, etc. I have noticed expiration date issues on a few national brand items, but it's actually been a while since I had to put something back on the shelf. It's easy to get in and out of the store (except when Kenilworth lets out!), the checkers are VERY friendly and actually talk with me and other shoppers (unlike the Safeway checkers I recall from years past). I keep meaning to make a trip to the new Safeway but haven't found a reason to bother...
nightowl

Postby Bear » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

nightowl wrote:the checkers are VERY friendly and actually talk with me and other shoppers (unlike the Safeway checkers I recall from years past)

completely disagree with this statement. g&g checkers have no personality and barely look at you, and if they do most have an attitude. i prefer safeway or raley's checkers to g&g. i have older kids and they state the same - g&g has checkers that seem very unhappy. i will agree that g&g offers local products. safeway and raley's needs to get on board there.
Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Raves