Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

The soon-to-be "New & Improved" Petaluma Safeway

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Re: The soon-to-be "New & Improved" Petaluma Safeway

Postby felix » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 pm

perhaps u shld try ROGER WILCO...or maybe CARL'S MARKET (right across the street frm R.W.)....oh wait...what decade IS ths anyways??
felix

Postby fxlnll » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:23 pm

nightowl wrote: the checkers are VERY friendly and actually talk with me and other shoppers (unlike the Safeway checkers I recall from years past). I keep meaning to make a trip to the new Safeway but haven't found a reason to bother...

This is funny because I don't want a checker that talks to much. I have seen a couple at Safeway that talk way too much and hold things up. For me a talkative checker is as bad as a customer that refuses to get off their friggen cell phone while being waited on. The first store that will allow a checker to grab that phone and chuck it outside will get my lifetime business.
fxlnll

Postby nightowl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Maybe I should have prefaced my remark by stating that there are five or six regular checkers (and baggers) at G&G whom I seek out. They know me, I know them. We greet each other by name but don't necessarily have conversations that hold up other customers. From time to time there are random checkers apparently imported from the Santa Rosa store who aren't as friendly, probably because they don't know me from Adam or Eve. As for chit chat, what used to drive me crazy at Safeway is the checkers and baggers yakking it up amongst themselves about what they did last night while ignoring the customer (until they glanced at my receipt to thank me and mispronounce my name). Trader Joe's, which I also frequent regularly, has awesome checkers. Just enough chit chat to be friendly while moving you along...
nightowl

Postby JEH » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 am

We like Raley's. The manager is above-and-beyond nice. He will listen to any ideas or concerns. Customer service is great. Checkers are friendly and efficient. Raley's donates to nickle-aid, through customers bringing in their own reusable bags. Petaluma Raley's is on facebook for special announcements.

To the person who said Raley's is more expensive than Safeway -- wrong! Raley's prices are very competive and they have the new "Something Extra" card.
The produce prices are consistently lower than Safeway. Check out the price on bananas, cucumbers, potatoes. And if you read the weekly flyer the have some excellent sales. They carry Clover and other local products.

Best natural foods/health food section!!!! They will special order anything for you that they don't carry.

Great bargain-bins too ;)
JEH

Postby 2182 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Nightowl, I sincerely agree with you about G&G and the checkers. Most offer enough conversation to make you feel welcome. There are exceptions from time to time, of course.

In the produce section I've noticed in my years of shopping at G&G that the onions can look less than desirable now and again. From time to time I've seen wilty carrots, limp bell peppers and not so chrisp asparagus.

Postby nightowl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:07 pm

2182, I've noticed the same thing with bell peppers, artichokes, green beans, Brussels sprouts and a few other items at G&G from time to time. I just chalked it up to the season or bad weather and bought something else. Occasionally I've asked staff if they had anything else in the back. Seems to me other markets have the same issues with seasonal items like produce. The positives of the store outweigh the negatives for me, and I know that I can always pick up other produce items elsewhere if I need to.
nightowl

Postby bibanon1 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:32 am

I don't care how fancy and new the new Safeway is. They still have the same old problems. Very poor customer service. It is impossible to find someone to help you and I don't think the prices are that great. I'm surprised that people think Raley's is more expensive than Safeway. I haven't found that to be true. I have been using their new loyalty card and you can choose the area you most use in the store and they base your coupons on that. I get coupons for things i actually use like produce and organic products. And Raley's customer service is wonderful. If you look the least bit lost or confused, someone immediately offers to help. The few times I have shopped at Safeway and have FINALLY found someone to help, they always act like they resent being stopped. I will NEVER shop at Safeway again.

I'm curious to see what the new SPROUTS opening at the end of the month will be like.
bibanon1

Postby lumagrl » Wed May 22, 2013 5:45 am

I have been shopping at Safewau for a long time . I have always found Safeway to be very helpful. G and G is always been the opposite.
lumagrl

Postby TJMack » Sun May 26, 2013 7:31 am

Someone posted that the crosswalks in front of Safeway are almost non-existent. I agree! Safeway (or the shopping center) needs to do some work there! Shoppers tend to jump out from behind the heavy cement pillars. The crosswalks should be more clearly marked like the crosswalks in front of Raley's.

p.s. Safeway seems to be raising their prices.....Raley's seems to be lowering theirs. Raley's $5 Mondays deals are great.
TJMack

Postby JEH » Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am

I sent an e-mail to Fulcrum Properties (mgmt. of Washington Square) regarding the empty Safeway, and this is a partial reply:

>>>to your email of 5/26 regarding the old Safeway location at Washington Square. Please be advised that the space is for lease. Yes, Safeway still holds the lease and is responsible for leasing the space. I appreciate your suggested uses for the space. I will pass these onto Safeway’s Real Estate Department.<<<<

Hmmmm, so it seems Safeway is responsible for keeping it empty??

No wonder Safeway's prices are so high....they are paying for two properties in one shopping center!
JEH

Previous

Return to Rants and Raves