Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Post Office (on McDowell)

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Re: Post Office (on McDowell)

Postby PennyMoney » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Mike, you are doing the right thing. It's RIGHT-TURN only out of the post office parking lot. Years ago they should have put some kind of entrance/exit onto Corona.

I agree, a few more safe drive-up drop-off convenient mailboxes around town would alleviate some of the congestion at the McDowell post office location.
PennyMoney

Postby npadvocate » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 am

So the left turners are at it again. Several times a week around 830-10am.
Pet Police time to monitor that again. I am driving south on McDowell and these crazies illegally turn left in front of me as I am turning into the PO driveway.
I am tempted to drive my old clunker and let them total my rusty truck just to get some body work done. I can always depend on 3 people turning left out of the driveway every 15 minutes. So that makes 18 tickets in 90 minutes, repeat that around noon, 3pm, and 6pm.

Police revenue numbers kick in for a dependable 72 tickets a day, 360/wk.

VC 22100 a $234 for making an illegal left turn...$82,240/wk.

Traffic school driving lessons $25/person, $9000/wk...definitely helps the local economy.

Variable insurance premium increases.

The local economy would benefit from a $100,000 injection by mostly privileged middle class drivers with sufficient resources to pay the ~$300 fine/person.
npadvocate

Postby ptlmafrnd » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:59 am

npadvocate wrote:So the left turners are at it again. Several times a week around 830-10am.
Pet Police time to monitor that again. I am driving south on McDowell and these crazies illegally turn left in front of me as I am turning into the PO driveway.
I am tempted to drive my old clunker and let them total my rusty truck just to get some body work done. I can always depend on 3 people turning left out of the driveway every 15 minutes. So that makes 18 tickets in 90 minutes, repeat that around noon, 3pm, and 6pm.

Traffic school driving lessons $25/person, $9000/wk...definitely helps the local economy.

The local economy would benefit from a $100,000 injection by mostly privileged middle class drivers with sufficient resources to pay the ~$300 fine/person.

+1
ptlmafrnd

Postby fxlnll » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 am

npadvocate wrote:So the left turners are at it again. Several times a week around 830-10am.

so you are advocating more chicken shit ticket writing in Petaluma? Shame on you. Besides the cops are too busy hanging out at the high schools writing CS tickets to bicycle riders with no helmets, riding for 40 feet the wrong way.
fxlnll

Postby Hollar » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 am

Why is it the post office exit has a restricted left turn in place and enforced but the other 4 driveways closer to the Corona and McDowell intersections do not? Why do those vehicles get to turn left and post office customers cannot? What makes it less dangerous for those driveways even though they are closer to the intersection and face the same traffic conditions?
Hollar

Postby whippis » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:13 am

Obviously at some point something happened and a stink was raised- I believe it was due to the one lane exit causing back-ups in the parking lot while people waited to turn left. This could result in impatience and hasty turns leading to accidents. There is nothing in the lay out or in the road markings which requires the PO exit to be a right turn only. Except that a sign was posted making it so. Seems like only about 1/2 of the people actually observe the sign. For a large number of those who do, myself included, it results in a left/U-turn at the next intersection (which seems just as dangerous).

I have no issue with the police enforcing the posted sign. No sure I agree that the sign should exist at all but if it is a law it should be enforced. All laws should be enforced or taken off the books. Selective enforcement leads to selective observations and cries of unfair when they are enforced. Constant and consistent enforcement of all laws, even minor ones, worked spectacularly for NYC in the 1980s. The Broken Window Theory has yet to fail in application.
whippis

Postby wanderer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm

They have now put cones at the street where we were all told to make a u turn. now we are forced to go down the street beyond the cones and make a u turn.
wanderer

Postby TJMack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

I think the ARROW painted on the exit still points straight. It should be a curved arrow pointing "right turn only".

Why wasn't there ever an entrance/exit on Corona??? :?:

95% percent of the drivers probably live south of the Post Office. Kind of ridiculous they are forced to turn north, and then circle around somehow.

A previous suggestion was made that there should be a USPS mailbox at the Community Center with daily pick-ups. This would alleviate some of the post office traffic.
TJMack

Postby fxlnll » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:43 pm

wanderer wrote:They have now put cones at the street where we were all told to make a u turn. now we are forced to go down the street beyond the cones and make a u turn.

and this prevents a u-turn how? Why would you need to go on the side street at all during a u-turn?
fxlnll

Postby whippis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 am

Are you allowed to make a U-Turn from the median left turn lane? I thought not- so I make a left at the next intersection but make it a wide U and end up at the stop sign needing to turn right (and then crossing both lanes to make a left onto Corona).

That's a whole-lotta work to drop off NetFlix movies. I wish there were like a big store that had tons of DVDs so I could just stop in, grab the movie I want and watch it. Why hasn't NetFlix opend stores?
whippis

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Raves