Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Roundabouts on Petaluma Blvd, South

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Roundabouts on Petaluma Blvd, South

Postby brandi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm

I live off of Petaluma Blvd, South and every morning I come down to the roundabout to make a right onto Petaluma Blvd, South. Every morning, I sit there and wait for someone to stop or least slow down so I can turn onto the street. No one does and most of the time I have to force my way into the traffic. Yield, means slow down or stop if there is another car at the turn about waiting, the car on the right has the right away, which is me. And when I come home I have to go all the way around the roundabout to go up onto my street. This is also a problem because no one seems to know that if I am in the roundabout, I have the right of way and you are suppose to stop for me.
I realize that these intersections are primarily in the east, but since someone decided we needed them in Petaluma, we should all try to make it work for everyone using it.
brandi

Re: Roundabouts on Petaluma Blvd, South

Postby fxlnll » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am

I believe you are incorrect. Once in the circle you are not to stop. That is why they are a PIA, because a lot of people think they should stop once in the circle.

"You must yield to traffic already WITHIN the circle (as your sound logic has already told you).

Once in the circle you have right-of-way and could theoretically drive around in circles all day long without yielding.

Just pull up to the circle and look left - if no traffic is in the circle and approaching you, keep going and merge into the circle. If traffic is approaching, stop and wait for an opening before merging. Pretty simple."
fxlnll

Postby 2182 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Another dissatisfied customer :lol:

There are other threads in this forum that discuss round abouts. There are people who love them and people who hate them. I, personally, think they were fine in the horse and buggy days but not for automobiles and especially trucks. They are the result of progressive minds stuck back in the middle ages and think they have made a new discovery, just like the rest of the "traffic calming" measures that get drivers infuriated! If they never installed another one in town again I'd be happy! 8-)

Postby Bonz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:59 pm

I think you are confusing it with the rules for an uncontrolled intersection. In an uncontrolled intersection you are to go in the order in which you reach the intersection, If both at the same time then the right of way applies. We used to call it Sunset Roulette as most of those in the Sunset District were uncontrolled.
In a traffic circle you are to yield to anybody in the circle. If you have to wait for a car to pass by the next car is already in the circle. so you have to wait. And coming home YES you do have to go all the way around the circle to go left. Roundabutts are ONE WAY, you are not allowed to turn left into the circle, PERIOD.Then the oncoming cars are supposed to stop, as you are in the circle, for you to complete your "left turn". And go ahead and do a couple of circuits everybody will have to stop for you. Especially if you're doing it full throttle, sideways!
Bonz

Postby petalumanick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm

I may be wrong, but what I think brandi is commenting on is not the folks already in the circle, but the ones approaching the circle from Petaluma Blvd North or South. I drive through this roundabout everyday and know exactly where she is entering from. There are 4 entrances total; 2 from the Blvd (North and South), one from Crystal Lane, and one from Caulfield (currently a dead end). Here's the thing, the entrances from Crystal and Caulfield are stop signs whereas the entrances from the Blvd are not, so they are obligated to continue into the circle while you wait your turn. It's probably frustrating during heavy traffic times, but you can chalk it up to bad design as opposed to rudeness.

As for when you come home, yep, it's tough because people can't read minds and probably assume you are going to continue up the Blvd. In actuality, they should be watching you to make sure your not continuing around (in other words, yielding) but they often don't....I always do because I live across the street from those town homes and I know there is a good chance someone is pulling in.

Personally, I think the roundabout is ridiculous in that spot. A 4 way stoplight would have been a lot more practical, it's an accident waiting to happen and will only get worst when the Caulfield extension is done.
petalumanick

Postby Therewolf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm

One of our local politicians (Pam Torliatt, perhaps?) must have visited Paris and/or Rome a few years ago and became enamored of this ridiculous idea. In those cities the traffic circles are six times the size of ours, and nobody there obeys the laws anyway.

Here, they don't work at all. "Traffic calming"? HAH! Buses can't fit through them. Trucks can't fit through them. I've watched SUVs go up on the sidewalk trying to navigate them. And just as in Europe, NOBODY YIELDS!

Admit the mistake. Rip 'em out, install four-way stops, and move on.
Therewolf

Postby PetalumaGal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

I wouldn't mind one bit if the city "wasted" money and tore out all those circles. They certainly are not "traffic calmers". Last year I visited the city of Pacific Beach near San Diego, and they had a circle at the end of every block in their downtown. OMG.
PetalumaGal

Postby petalumanick » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I stand corrected, I checked this morning and the 2 stop signs at Caulfield and Crystal are now YIELDS. They must have changed after the construction was completely done. So it's officially a free for all! In regards to the original post, if there's no one already IN the roundabout and you are at the Yield sign, you are free to go regardless of who is barreling down the Blvd. But as others pointed out, cars already IN the roundabout don't ever yield, they aren't supposed to. Good luck!
petalumanick

Postby 2182 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Six Hail Mary's , two Our Father's and a good insurance company ........and we'll all get through it! :lol:

Postby TJMack » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 am

Glory Be! ;)
TJMack

Next

Return to Rants and Raves