Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Sprouts Market

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Sprouts Market

Postby JEH » Fri May 31, 2013 11:07 am

Rave: It's very nice. Going to give Whole Foods a run for the money! The weekly $1 specials are a good deal.

This week:

Mini watermelons $1
Cherry tomatoes $1
Blueberries $1

Total: $3 ! ! !

That order would cost $10 - $12 at other local markets ;)
JEH

Re: Sprouts Market

Postby PennyMoney » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes, impressed with the quality and prices! Bought some beautful apricots for 88 cents a lb.

We like the "overlapping" double Wednesday.....the previous week's items are still on sale on Wed, the first day of the new weekly ad prices. (This was announced on facebook) What a good idea!
PennyMoney

Postby mkelstrom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am

I have been twice to Sprouts now and can say that they will NOT COMPETE WITH WHOLE FOODS! They only have a handful of organic produce and products. Some of the organic produce looked like it had been around a while, or came from a long way. I did buy a few things...but there is just no comparison to the quality and quantity of Whole Foods...and some of the things were actually cheaper at WF. I got organic avocados for 1.99 each at Sprouts, and then found they were 1.69 at WF. It is nice to have another choice, and the people are all very nice, but I will continue to do my major shopping at Petaluma Market and Whole Foods (and a few things at TJ's) None of them have all organic foods, for sure, but with a name like Sprouts Farmers Market I think people think they are getting healthy, organic products...do not be fooled by the name.
mkelstrom

Postby OB1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 am

After reading several articles online the most memorable quote I found would be; "Sprouts is the Walmart of organic markets."

I found my shopping experience to be mediocre at best. The deli and meat counter were awful and the produce had me wondering how far away it had come from. The price points were the same or more expensive as the competitors.

I won't be going out of my way to shop at Sprouts.
OB1

Postby AFG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:29 pm

If you think Sprouts is so much more expensive, I would like to know where you are shopping.

Petaluma Market and Whole Foods are beyond the reach of those on a fixed income. And, I am disappointed at the excess packaging that TJ's uses.

Where can you find grapefruit 2/$1.00, oranges for 88 cents per pound or cherries for $1.48 per pound? This is just for an example.

I would love to be able to buy all organic produce, but I am not going to buy tasteless fruit shipped from Chile at a greater cost in fossil fuel calories that the food itself.

Sprouts seems to be the most competitive grocery store that we have in Petaluma right now. Maybe some of the others will take the hint.
AFG

Postby raster » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I have been a few times. Seems kind of like a Trader Joes with a little Whole foods mixed in. I'm sure all stores bait you with a low price here and there and then jack up other prices, but here is an example that really irks me. I love pistachios. The first two times I went to Sprouts, they have some really nice, big, fresh ones, in there bulk bin. A day later, I went back to get some more and they were completely gone. Both Salted and Unsalted. Bins had been replaced by some other nut. The stock guy told me, He guessed they ran out. Been in three times since, and they have not replaced them. However, real near the bulk bins, are the prepackaged ones, (The ones that advertise a lot on National TV) I think they made a deal with the corporate ones to squash the bulk ones. AND I do like the prepackaged ones but they are $9.99 at sprouts, when the same size package is $6.99 at Petaluma Market. (YES, Petaluma Market where almost everything cost more)

1 more thing that bothers me. I do not really see anything local there. There is some really great hummus made here in Petaluma called the Hummus Guy. You can get it at Petaluma Market and Whole Foods, but not at Sprouts. I never expected to get it at Safeway, Raleys or Luckys, but I thought Sprouts might carry something local. Oh, and no cold white wine (i.e.. Trader Joes)
raster

Postby AFG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Sprouts does have local dairy products (Clover) and ice cream (Three Twins).

Speaking with friends in the Fresno area where there are several Sprouts (and dozens of other groceries) I am told that the low prices are consistent.

I noticed several products that were not on sale, but were less than the same product at other stores in town. Champagne vinegar for $2 less than other stores is one example. Vitamins were also significantly less--in one case $5 a bottle.

Mentioning problems to the manager as well as letting them know specific products you would like to see will go a long way.
AFG

Postby Drake94954 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 pm

You life is pretty sad when all you have to complain about is a new grocery store. I wish I had your problems.
Drake94954

Postby Jowee » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:28 am

Sprouts is OK in my book. Good location, great parking, reasonably priced. I do agree that Petaluma Market has the best meats in town, Spouts will have to work on that. Give them some time, they just opened up. I think they're going to do well in Petaluma. We will be shopping there a lot.
Jowee

Postby ebm1979 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Someone commented, "I do not see anything local here". How much more local than Clover milk and Lagunitas beer can you get? Nice store. Especially pistachio muffins.
ebm1979

Next

Return to Rants and Raves