Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Dogs in stores.

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Re: Dogs in stores.

Postby ravey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Also interesting reading from ADA 36.104 (Definitions). Note the last sentence.

Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.
ravey

Postby walk2k » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't think anyone has a problem with quiet, well-behaved service dogs.

A dog that is yapping or lunging at other dogs or people is not that. If it were my store I would ask that person to leave, dog and all. You don't have to ask them what their disability is or if it is a legit service dog, you are perfectly within your rights to ask anyone to leave your store (outside of racial discrimination/etc, of course).

I would do the same to anyone who brings disruptive children into a store, also.
walk2k

Postby FoodTaster 101 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm

While you feel that you need to have your service dog have you ever thought of someone else's Allergy to dogs. I can not tolerate a bad smelling dog and have had people bring them in to my place of work because they don't want to leave the dog in the car, have you ever thought to leave it home. A service dog is for the blind last time I checked.
FoodTaster 101

Postby fxlnll » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 pm

FoodTaster 101 wrote:While you feel that you need to have your service dog have you ever thought of someone else's Allergy to dogs. I can not tolerate a bad smelling dog and have had people bring them in to my place of work because they don't want to leave the dog in the car, have you ever thought to leave it home. A service dog is for the blind last time I checked.

There are a couple of other REAL service dog types. But mental issues should not count. It's ridiculous
fxlnll

Postby whippis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 am

I think store owners have the right to refuse service within the limits of protected groups. Likewise I think the ADA defines what consitutes a disability for purposes of accomodation. That said, anyone causing a disruption, whether in a protected group or not, can be asked to leave or in this case asked to remove the dog.

I think a sign stating only (legitimate) service animals are permitted in the store (which sites the ADA) would be the best protection.
whippis

Postby notfornothing » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:35 am

Since I first started this post, I have again had to shop with the same person with the same dog at TJ's. What are the chances? But the best was seeing a person in Safeway with her dog snuggled (or smuggled) in a baby bjorn. Just when I thought I'd seen it all.
notfornothing

Postby walk2k » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:22 pm

If it's a legitimate service dog it should be well trained.
Either way it's not really for you to say what's "ridiculous" or not.
I don't really like smelly obnoxious children either, should they be banned from stores? :lol:
walk2k

Postby fxlnll » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 pm

walk2k wrote:If it's a legitimate service dog it should be well trained.
Either way it's not really for you to say what's "ridiculous" or not.
I don't really like smelly obnoxious children either, should they be banned from stores? :lol:

It is for me to say a reason is ridiculous. Me and every other person. People need to be shamed. What possible reason could a dog be a "service" dog when it is in a stroller, purse or something like that? ZERO.
fxlnll

Postby tay » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38 am

Few weeks ago, I was at Ross, an older woman was carrying a big size white poodle. I thought to myself, why couldn't she leave it at home of in the car while she shopped. Then I headed over to The Home Store next to Target, and yet again a dog in the store! This time it was a guy with a Yorkie on a leash, lifting his leg over by where they sell pictures! I went straight to the manager and let her know!

What the hell is wrong with people? Bigger signs to read, "No dogs allowed"!
tay

Postby fxlnll » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm

tay wrote:Few weeks ago, I was at Ross, an older woman was carrying a big size white poodle. I thought to myself, why couldn't she leave it at home of in the car while she shopped. Then I headed over to The Home Store next to Target, and yet again a dog in the store! This time it was a guy with a Yorkie on a leash, lifting his leg over by where they sell pictures! I went straight to the manager and let her know!

What the hell is wrong with people? Bigger signs to read, "No dogs allowed"!

entitled as$holes is what they are. Bring back the stockades
fxlnll

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Raves