Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Pay for the Press Democrat?

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Pay for the Press Democrat?

Postby OB1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 am

I ventured onto the Press Democrat webpage this morning and clicked on a news story to read, I was surprised to see the following;

Get full access to the news you need. Right now.
Thanks for reading The Press Democrat online.
If you are already a subscriber of The Press Democrat, you now also receive access to our website and our e-edition as part of your subscription. Just click the “First-time Activation” button below to set up your account to take advantage of this new digital access.
If you are not a subscriber, please click the “Subscription Options” button below to see our special introductory offer to subscribe, either to the newspaper with all-access to our digital products, or for a digital-only subscription.
For questions or help with any of these, contact us at any of the ways shown below.

They now offer the following options;

$9.99 / mo
All Digital Access

All Digital Access +
Sunday Home Delivery
As low as $10.99/month
Click below to see the
lowest rates in your area

All Digital Access +
Sunday Home Delivery
As low as $99.99 + tax ($108.84)
Click below to see the
lowest rates in your area

I'm posting this to see what people think about the new Press Democrat. They basically feel they are news worthy enough to ask folks to pay $9.99 per month to read from their webpage. Personally I feel it's despicable they would charge folks to read from their online website.

As a long time Sonoma County resident I will no longer support ANYTHING associated with the Press Democrat.
OB1

Re: Pay for the Press Democrat?

Postby fxlnll » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:40 pm

That is your right. But they have a right to make money. You can choose to look a few articles once you get to a certain amount then you got to pay. Many places are using this model now. Whats the big deal. I'm sure they would say good riddance, to you.
fxlnll

Postby EpicPopsicle » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Despicable? Because they want to generate income for a product that you consume? Why do you feel entitled to read the paper for free? And why is it perfectly ok to pay for a print subscription, but "despicable" to ask people to pay for the digital version?
EpicPopsicle

Postby ptlmafrnd » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:08 pm

i totally agree with both fxlnll and epicpopsicle. papers are hurting for several reasons, one being online news content. with less and less paper subscriptions they have to find a way to stay in business so they charge for online content. you have plenty of other choices if it is so despicable to me but it is very tough to understand why trying to maintain a revenue and stay in business causes you so much angst. are you paying for cable or satellite television? is that despicable to you? you can certainly put up rabbit ears and get it for free if you would like.

odd take on this for sure.
ptlmafrnd

Postby PetalumaPete » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:14 pm

PetalumaPete

Postby Bear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:23 pm

fxlnll wrote:That is your right. But they have a right to make money. You can choose to look a few articles once you get to a certain amount then you got to pay. Many places are using this model now. Whats the big deal. I'm sure they would say good riddance, to you.

ditto.
Bear

Postby Bear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:26 pm

OB1 wrote:Personally I feel it's despicable they would charge folks to read from their online website.

As a long time Sonoma County resident I will no longer support ANYTHING associated with the Press Democrat.

OBI, then why are you using the pd's forums? i think it's despicable. pd/argus - all related to same company.
Bear

Postby Longonptown » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 pm

No problem, no content! :lol:
Longonptown

Postby whippis » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:57 am

While I agree that the PD has every right to charge for its content I wonder how many non-paper subscribers they will attract. $10/mo seems high for their product. I was not a PD reader when it was free.
whippis

Postby EpicPopsicle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:29 pm

I would be more willing to pay if the paid version wasn't filled with ads, particularly the expanding home page ads. Fortunately, they make it extremely easy to get around the paywall :shock:
EpicPopsicle

Next

Return to Rants and Raves