Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Restaurant Server Etiquette

Subjects that don't quite fit anywhere else.

Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby JEH » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:52 am

Rant: I'm not going to name the downtown restaurant. The food is very good. I guess paying with cash is not the best way to pay your bill.

On our bill of $41, we put out three twenty-dollar bills. Our server asked if we wanted change. Uh YES, we want change! We're not leaving you a $19 tip on a bill of $41. We are happy to leave a 20% tip, but not a 50% tip. The service was OK, but not spectacular.

She proceeded to make change out of her apron pocket (kind of uncomfortable for us to sit there and watch).

Another peeve: Please lose the phrase "no problem". When we ask for more water or bread, please don't answer "no problem". Say "of course" or "yes certainly" or "I'll be right back with that".
JEH
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:21 am

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby Mario Bono » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:56 am

Yikes. You got white people problems...
Mario Bono
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby wanderer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:02 pm

" do you want your change" my pet peeve....of course I want my change back. If I choose to tip I will...if you ask me, that is begging for a tip....I have been told that many servers ask that and it is normal. not in my book, cannot stand that question.....
wanderer
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby walk2k » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 pm

wow really? It's just a question... I'm sure the server didn't sit there and count your money before asking if you want change, how does she know how much you put down? when I pay in cash I often have small bills and leave exactly the amount, including tip. it's a pretty common and innocuous question - chill the F@#$ out. :ugeek:

as for "no problem" yes I stopped saying that in response to a "thank you", I say "you're welcome" instead, which is the polite thing to say. but certainly don't get bent out of shape if I hear a waiter say "no problem" when I ask for something... again a common phrase meaning the same thing basically as "sure thing" or "yes coming right up" or so.

I mean these are waiters, bartenders, food servers etc - not your personal slaves.. certainly not for a $40 meal LOL
walk2k
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby hockeygirl32 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Hopefully some servers will read these posts and share. My pet peeve is when your server, whether it by at Starbuck, a diner, or upscale restaurant, carries your beverage with his or her hands/fingers touching the portion of the glass/cup that you will be drinking from. It's just disgusting. :oops:
hockeygirl32
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby fxlnll » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:32 pm

walk2k wrote:wow really? It's just a question... I'm sure the server didn't sit there and count your money before asking if you want change, how does she know how much you put down? when I pay in cash I often have small bills and leave exactly the amount, including tip. it's a pretty common and innocuous question - chill the F@#$ out. :ugeek:

as for "no problem" yes I stopped saying that in response to a "thank you", I say "you're welcome" instead, which is the polite thing to say. but certainly don't get bent out of shape if I hear a waiter say "no problem" when I ask for something... again a common phrase meaning the same thing basically as "sure thing" or "yes coming right up" or so.

I mean these are waiters, bartenders, food servers etc - not your personal slaves.. certainly not for a $40 meal LOL


Oh look the king or queen has spoken. Now we all know how we should feel after getting shitty service or ignored. Thank you so much.
fxlnll
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:42 am

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby whippis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:01 am

While the idiomatic meaning of "no problem" is simply a positive response equivalent to "sure" or "ok", etc. The more literal meaning is a bit more passive-aggressive. As if the speaker would only do their job if it were convenient for them to do so. I can see where in the context of a service position such an interpretation would make the customer feel annoyed. However that is perhaps an unjustified inference. Just because one is annoyed by the phrase does not mean that was the speaker's intent. Just taking exception to a word or phrase absent of context and tone is lazy and leads to unnecessary aggravation.
whippis
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby da shaman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 am

tattooing down to the knuckles is a little bit of a turnoff. I can see the same thing on "Lock Down". What gets me when the waiter introduces him/herself all the while wearing a name tag. I never remember the name anyway and they are not added to my Christmas card list. When I get the name bit, I will introduce everyone I am seated with by name to the server. I have actually had a couple waiters repeat all the names. They get a real good tip.

We have all been to restaurants where the service has been sketchy at best and grumbled to the manager. If you go to some place where the service is exemplary take a minute to pass on your comments to the manager. It is always appreciated.
da shaman
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby walk2k » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm

fxlnll wrote:
walk2k wrote:wow really? It's just a question... I'm sure the server didn't sit there and count your money before asking if you want change, how does she know how much you put down? when I pay in cash I often have small bills and leave exactly the amount, including tip. it's a pretty common and innocuous question - chill the F@#$ out. :ugeek:

as for "no problem" yes I stopped saying that in response to a "thank you", I say "you're welcome" instead, which is the polite thing to say. but certainly don't get bent out of shape if I hear a waiter say "no problem" when I ask for something... again a common phrase meaning the same thing basically as "sure thing" or "yes coming right up" or so.

I mean these are waiters, bartenders, food servers etc - not your personal slaves.. certainly not for a $40 meal LOL


Oh look the king or queen has spoken. Now we all know how we should feel after getting shitty service or ignored. Thank you so much.


saying "do you want change" or "no problem" is so far from "shitty service or ignored" it's not even in the same zip code. also, you're kind of a dick. if you treat waiters as badly as you treat complete strangers on the internet they probably spit in your food a lot. I'm just saying.. :lol:
walk2k
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Restaurant Server Etiquette

Postby fxlnll » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:10 pm

walk2k wrote:
fxlnll wrote:
walk2k wrote:wow really? It's just a question... I'm sure the server didn't sit there and count your money before asking if you want change, how does she know how much you put down? when I pay in cash I often have small bills and leave exactly the amount, including tip. it's a pretty common and innocuous question - chill the F@#$ out. :ugeek:

as for "no problem" yes I stopped saying that in response to a "thank you", I say "you're welcome" instead, which is the polite thing to say. but certainly don't get bent out of shape if I hear a waiter say "no problem" when I ask for something... again a common phrase meaning the same thing basically as "sure thing" or "yes coming right up" or so.

I mean these are waiters, bartenders, food servers etc - not your personal slaves.. certainly not for a $40 meal LOL


Oh look the king or queen has spoken. Now we all know how we should feel after getting shitty service or ignored. Thank you so much.


saying "do you want change" or "no problem" is so far from "shitty service or ignored" it's not even in the same zip code. also, you're kind of a dick. if you treat waiters as badly as you treat complete strangers on the internet they probably spit in your food a lot. I'm just saying.. :lol:

Look who is calling who a dick. You have zero room to talk. I treat people they way I get treated. I can be as nice or as much or an ass as they are. And none of what you were bitching about would have mattered to me at all. So look who the dick is now!
fxlnll
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:42 am

Next

Return to Rants and Raves

cron