Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Fairness To School Teachers

What's happening in Petaluma schools?

Re: Fairness To School Teachers

Postby paws4hairballs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 am

It appears that the Petaluma Kindergarten teachers, like all teachers, have only ever really wanted a respectful and professional conversation around what and when their leaders wish them to teach, especially when they are hired and fired based on this. This hasn't happened under this or their precious leadership for too long, while they, the teachers, have given their days, their pay, and had to pay more for their health to keep the district solvent. Commendable in my book.

But as the leaders get their pay back, the leaders say no, not enough from teachers. Even if they had been given their pay back after all these years the teachers will work their hardest for a 2006 wage so their start for a small raise, compared to higher management, was 3%. Not commendable, but yet, not unreasonable either.

Start the conversation with your children's Kindergarten teacher, Mike. Kindergarten is always the best, safest, and most loving place to start. We had a great one there but as in my earlier post, we soon did not feel supported or included in the meaningful conversations either. You do, Mike, so my advice then is to keep doing your homework.
paws4hairballs

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 am

I work in the private sector were we make considerably less that management. So I'm used to it. I don't know how much teachers are paid, but i know they have a better retirement plan than me and get summer vacation. This really does seem like an internal dispute. I'll leave you guys to it.
mikeg55

Postby paws4hairballs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:35 am

I encourage you to stay in the mix, Mike, especially as all this Prop 30 and redirected Redevelopment money has been pouring in and disappearing. The classes are still overfilled at every level. Management has theirs, and now the teachers have to go to a lengthy impasse?
Let's at least focus our attention on the kids as our committed community value. The classes remain overfilled at every grade level and real support, closest to the kids is eliminated or severely reduced. Hardly just an internal teachers problem as you suggest. After all, this is a public system with elected oversight that should not be lacking in any way. At the same time, I really hope you get some help with a vacation and a retirement plan for yourself. It's not easy. Don't wait like so many in America! Do it now, and that's before you go to the new Target. Then spend the rest : )
paws4hairballs

Postby specvdriver » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am

Before my wife died of cancer she was a junior high school teacher. She contributed to her own retirement fund and "summer vacation" is not paid time off. Their salaries are spread out over 12 months, but they are only paid for the school year. She was in her classroom by 7:30 every morning and worked at home correcting papers until 8:00 every night. I made her final student loan payment a month after she died. If your job sucks more than being a teacher, get your credential and get in the classroom.
specvdriver

Postby specvdriver » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:24 am

Forgot to mention she got laid off at the end of every school year and we had to wait until August to find out if she would be returning because she wasn't tenured. She had to deal with students bigger than she was, throwing chairs, students with special needs, students that banged their heads against walls, students fighting, and was expected to motivate them to learn. Somehow she managed to deal with all that and become a very influential educator who was loved by her students and fellow teachers.
specvdriver

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:48 am

specvdriver wrote:Before my wife died of cancer she was a junior high school teacher. She contributed to her own retirement fund and "summer vacation" is not paid time off. Their salaries are spread out over 12 months, but they are only paid for the school year. She was in her classroom by 7:30 every morning and worked at home correcting papers until 8:00 every night. I made her final student loan payment a month after she died. If your job sucks more than being a teacher, get your credential and get in the classroom.

My condolences for your loss. I'm just a little confused. If a teacher is paid say $40,000 a year and gets a paycheck every month as you indicate, then having the summer off is a paid vacation, isn't it? And the contribution to the retirement fund is quite little compared to the benefit of a pension after retirement. correct? And as i was told a long time ago, if your job sucks, do something else.
mikeg55

Postby specvdriver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

So if they got their salary of $40,000 per year within the school year and not spread out over 12 months, you'd say that summer was an unpaid vacation?
specvdriver

Postby walk2k » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Yep it's all the fault of them darn lousy teachers, bankrupting our nation!!! :roll:
walk2k

Postby da shaman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:11 pm

in order to keep some normalcy in their lives, teachers spread out their monthly "teaching" salaries to cover the entire 12 months. Otherwise, they would make more while teaching and be broke during their vacation months. Also, it is my understanding that in order to "climb the ladder" paywise, teachers take courses to enhance their abilities in the classroom. I don't know if that is mandatory.
da shaman

Postby Gauge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:15 pm

If I'm reading you right, Mike, you're advising teachers to leave their job if it 'sucks' instead of trying to get back days to teach kids more days? When times are made tough, just go away? This doesn't resemble sound advice, worthy education, wholesome football, the entrepreneurial trait, or our winning American nature.
Let's get back to topic and facts for a bit.
Now top managers proposed a teacher sacrifice when times got tough, and now after years, refuse to give back what is due. These same managers instead take back their own top percent and drive a prolonged impasse situation for the teachers to muddle through while they teach our kids. I hear teachers also asked for some semblance of professional reasoning for our local education procedures that are lacking too. This is a good thing. More power and proper pay to them. And God help them if they're trying to live here on $40,000.
Teachers were some of my most important mentors. And when we quit them, and they in turn quit, or lose spirit, who then happily teaches our kids to the standards that have been met with excellence, even while facing such a grand deception and disappointment?
Gauge

PreviousNext

Return to Petaluma City Schools District