Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

The upper Petaluma River needs a lot of HELP

News and information from the Petaluma Wetlands Alliance.

The upper Petaluma River needs a lot of HELP

Postby Bruceco » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 am

I read an article in last weeks Press Democrat about how one man has spent so much time and effort in cleaning up the River, It is NOT clean, the photos used were from a very small area next to the outlet mall, just down river from there about 100' is a literal trash bin, I sent photos to the editor with explanations and as "typical" no action, no reply.
This area is 2 miles up river from the River House at the turn basin, there are a number of homeless camps there and a few have been and continue to trash the river, when big storms hit, that trash will find its way down river.
the area is only accessible by kayak or canoe during a tide of at least 5'6" due to the many obstacles in the river.
I have alerted the Sonoma county sheriff, Petaluma PD and the Newspaper. NO ONE will help us, maybe YOU will...get in a boat, big a bag and fill it up, there is a large trash bin at the River House parking lot.

The River thanks you
Bruceco

Re: The upper Petaluma River needs a lot of HELP

Postby PetalumaGal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 am

It sounds like a disgusting situation, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful if you join in the cleanup. You could easily contaminate yourself with nasty organisms and/or disease. People get all concerned about the Shollenberger portion of the river, and forget about the rest. Good luck in rounding up a river posse!
PetalumaGal

Return to Petaluma Wetlands Alliance