Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

Are You Going To Vote For or Against Gov Brown's Sales Tax

Discussions related to articles

Re: Are You Going To Vote For or Against Gov Brown's Sales Tax

Postby PetalumaGal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

When I do my personal budget I first allocate funds for the essentials - housing, utilities, food, etc. Only after that can I consider special projects. I sure wish that somehow we could force the state legislature and national congress to do the same. We citizens would all be bankrupted if we ran our households as they do. They have all behaved shamefully. I wish we could totally clean house in both the state and national legislatures. I will not vote for a new tax until I feel confident that moneys have been spent properly first.
PetalumaGal

Postby The Watcher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 am

You could run your household like this if there were no repercussions for your poor spending.

Oh and you could be a poor spender as long as someone was there to keep you financed.

And you could find someone who kept you financed as long as they believed all the reasons you give for the money (it's for charity, for the kids, for the poor).

As I've said before, the money is there. The accountability for it is not.

And for some reason when I see new tax I see "pay for old pensions".

So no, cut the benefits, cut the perks, restrain the salaries to market levels, show me how YOU are working smarter and where you're feeling the pain and I'll consider it. People get paid a lot of money to solve problems but the only problem being solved is how to get taxes on the ballot.
The Watcher

Postby Raw Meat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Not just no, Hell no!
Raw Meat

Postby KlingonCheese » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:24 am

Voting YES for more taxes is like voting for Obama for 4 more years.
You'd have to be insane to vote for either. :roll:

(Now watch the SHTF)
370H-SSV-0773H
KlingonCheese

Postby Bonz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 am

Welcome to California, Land of nuts and berries as we used to say.
Why can't we split our electoral votes by the vote count instead of winner take all?
The people of the State are not ALL Democrat.
Bonz

Postby mikeg55 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Bonz wrote:Welcome to California, Land of nuts and berries as we used to say.
Why can't we split our electoral votes by the vote count instead of winner take all?

I believe the electoral college was setup so that the most populous states could not determine who would be president. Each state would have a say. Ironically, if the election did go by the poplular vote, Gore would have been President instead of W in 2000.
mikeg55

Postby KlingonCheese » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 pm

mikeg55 wrote:
Bonz wrote:Welcome to California, Land of nuts and berries as we used to say.

I believe the electoral college was setup so that the most populous states could not determine who would be president. Each state would have a say. Ironically, if the election did go by the poplular vote, Gore would have been President instead of W in 2000.

Quite the opposite, the candidates only have to focus (and DO focus) on only the States that will get them the win.
It is maddening to vote other than Democrat only to see it not count a hoot. :evil:
The Electoral vote has dismissed the people. And I think it is far outdated.

And it was "California, Land of Fruits and Nuts." But your liberal Congress Women and Senators dried up crops in favor of imported produce.
http://www.waywordradio.org/land_of_fruit_and_nuts/
370H-SSV-0773H
KlingonCheese

Postby da shaman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 pm

I agree with Bonz: votes should be allocated according to the popular vote, the Electoral College needs to go. I could accept the majority will of the people (probably would have committed suicide or drank myself into a coma if Gore had been elected). If you are not a Democrat in California, you have no voice as to who becomes president. Bad enough we will have to settle for the likes of Huffman and Boxer. At least locally we have a semblance of a chance te restore some sanity.
da shaman

Postby Bonz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 am

Just for you people that think voting for this will help our classrooms. How much of this new tax revenue is going to them? VERY LITTLE!!!! A small portion is going to the "Schools", which is anything remotely related to the costs of our EIGHT school districts. That is mainly to prop up the teachers retirement fund. The rest is going to the General Fund. Actual money to the classrooms, less than 1%. If you really want to help the classroom, donate money directly to your school, buy supplies and bring them in, volunteer to help out. But don't think Prop 30 is doing anything to help our students!
Bonz

Postby da shaman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 pm

well, Browns sales tax passed. Last night on the news there was coverage of a whine-in on the Berkeley campus. The students were demanding that a portion of the tax be directed to the UC system so that their fees and costs would be reduced. I had to think what a bunch of sniveling sh**s these kids were. Sorry, but maybe they should join the real world, find a lousy parttime job, save some money, and pay their own way. A number of people going thru college in the 60's, 70's and 80's worked mindless jobs or used the G.I. Bill to pay for books, units and other fees. We survived. This mentality that the gov't should pay for a college education needs to go.
da shaman

Previous

Return to In the news