Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Measure X

Discussions related to articles

Re: Measure X

Postby cooky » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:54 am

The parcel tax is for 15 years, allows the city to go for construction bonds for capital improvements. Commercial property is also taxed, not just residential. 2% maintenance is included in funds for new parks/fields. Go to www.pfor.info to read more about the measure.
cooky

Postby cooky » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 am

mikeg55 wrote:I'm voting NO. I already have several parcel taxes added to my huge property tax bill and the Petaluma schools property tax just passed in the last election. I have kids. The current facilities look fine to me. I pay enough.

If you think the current facilities are fine, talk to the players who twist ankles in gopher holes, the team whose opponent refused to play on Petaluma fields, or the kid who guy who fell on the cracked tennis courts.
cooky

Postby fxlnll » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm

how many of those holes could have been filled, with the money spent to drive over ten police vehicles to sfo and back caravaning with the little league team? Or the money spent on the clean up of the parade? ticker tape style parade!!!! I say NO also
fxlnll

Postby Chris Weber » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Given Petaluma's proven inability to maintain anything--streets, lighting, public facilities and parks--building more seems a total waste of money until there is a change in attitude in City Hall.

There is no assurance that once the community center, for example, is repaired that the city will do anything to maintain it. In fact, I think they are more likely to ignore maintenance and count on another bail-out a few years down the road. Same goes for the swim centers and the parks.

Wasn't there considerable opposition to East Washington Park when it was originally proposed? What has changed? Or would bond money just be spent on legal challenges?
Chris Weber

Postby SaveOurCity » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 am

I posted the below in the "Heritage Homes rejects $10,000 negotiated from shopping cent" category, and realized it is also an appropriate post in this group.

The following was in response to posts congratulating the Heritage Homes Assn. for rejecting the $10,000 "tainted money" obtained by the PNA.

"Integrity... it is much appreciated! Now let's see what the nonprofit Friends of the Petaluma River, which fund raises for and manages the River Heritage Center does with their money? They are targeted to get a good sum from Measure X as a designated recipient. Will people vote against Measure X if the River Heritage Center accepts the "tainted" funds? Do they have the same "integrity" that the Heritage Homes group appears to have? Stay tuned...

And if you want to know who to vote for City Council just look at who Frances and Maguire (who got over $100,000 in the Target 'holdup') endorse: Tiffany R., Jason D.and Alicia K. Another reason NOT to vote for them!"
SaveOurCity

Postby The Watcher » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm

@SaveOurCity - That's funny as I was gonna post a comment about if Measure X had also included a sum of money for the PNA folks?

And to be clear, Measure X is a nice idea. The problem here from my POV is two-fold:

1. Can't trust that the money will go towards what it's intended to do (even
if there is an "oversight" committee). Whether that's real or not, it's the
prevailing perception. Too many examples of money intended for this and
winding with someone else. Both legally and illicitly.

2. Seems like we're setting ourselves up to make this "15 year" tax
permanent. I mean if they build more complexes and fix up existing ones
who will do the maintenance? We apparently don't have enough
people/resources now, what will it be like when there's more to
maintain?

So I guess on that logic I have my answer.

Or am I misunderstanding something? It's okay, I've been wrong before. :->
The Watcher

Postby DLoozional » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:23 am

I want new parks as bad as anyone in town. It's got to stop somewhere though and it needs to stop now. There's no way we'll ever make changes to the way things are done unless we make the hard decisions. NO MORE MONEY for them until they manage what they have now appropriately. I know fxlnll sounds like a grumpy jerk picking on the Little League parade, but he has a point. Sooooooo much money is squandered it's staggering. It's got to end. Don't vote for anything that gives our government a penny more than they get now.
DLoozional

Postby localmom » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am

DLoozional wrote:I want new parks as bad as anyone in town. It's got to stop somewhere though and it needs to stop now. There's no way we'll ever make changes to the way things are done unless we make the hard decisions. NO MORE MONEY for them until they manage what they have now appropriately. I know fxlnll sounds like a grumpy jerk picking on the Little League parade, but he has a point. Sooooooo much money is squandered it's staggering. It's got to end. Don't vote for anything that gives our government a penny more than they get now.

It's not for "Them", Measure X is for US. You and me, our kids, our seniors, the Polly Klaas Center, etc. It's for the facilities that we use, or would like to.

The funds will be held separately, just like the parcel tax that benefits the schools. Those funds may be held by the Petaluma City School District, but they are separate - and are directly applied to the programs for which they are intended. The school parcel tax isn't for the District Administrators - it's for the students! I see the results in my kids' schools every day - programs we have that other districts don't because of budget cuts. This is the same application - if we want better parks and recreational opportunities, we have to come together as citizens and do this for ourselves.

If you really want new parks as bad as anyone in town, then it's time to step up and support this measure. There is no Plan B waiting in the wings - we'll either pass Measure X and get these improvements or we won't.

Vote Yes on Measure X!!
localmom

Postby Longonptown » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:55 pm

No new taxes, not now! :evil:
Longonptown

Postby petort » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:45 pm

I understand the need for new parks and facilities in Petaluma but I also know my (house is under water) I owe more than it is worth and I have no extra money, not even $52/year or $1 per week. I agree with many other people if this tax passes a few years down the road we won't have money for maintenance etc. and I do worry who is the keeper of the money.
petort

PreviousNext

Return to In the news