Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Measure X

Discussions related to articles

Re: Measure X

Postby OB1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm

If we do anything it should be for the foundational well being of the CIty. Start with fixing the roads and other basic infrastructure projects.

Remember when the CIty went on an "improvement spree?" Longitude and Latitude signs, planters along the sidewalks, recycle and trash cans? Nothing was maintained and they are eyesores all over town.

We are in a place now were people can't afford gas, let alone pay for parks and a performing arts center (Remember the last time people tried to fund that center?) Let Cinnabar have some fundraisers, the town should not be footing the bill for a single use building.

Absolutely NO NEW TAX MEASURES.

VOTE OUT THE CURRENT COUNCIL.
OB1

Postby mikeg55 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:12 am

I don't want new parks. I'm voting no. My kids play soccer at Prince Park, a park by city hall, and a park by Meadow School. All of them are fine. Soccer gets played. Everyone is happy. I live across the street from a park with a playground. It is fine. no problems. Stop making homeowners fund all your pet projects. if your local park needs work, have your neighborhood fix it up. If your sports facilities need work, have the people who use those facilities pay for it. Add a facilities fee for those who play organized baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. I'm paying thousands in property tax already, with several parcel taxes tacked on. NO MORE TAXES!
mikeg55

Postby PennyMoney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 am

mikeg55, I'd say you are lucky that your kids haven't sprained their ankles in those cracks, divets and holes in the Prince Park fields.

And haven't you noticed that the play structure at Meadow Park is GONE!

I'm one of the ones who hauls my rake and broom down to my local park. Do you take care of your neighborhood park too?

Our Swim Center is downright embarassing. Needs paint and upgrades and improvements. Twenty-five years ago it was nice looking and a lot of fun.

I will vote yes. A dollar a week is a tiny price to pay for improvements to Petaluma. I'll give up a cup of coffee once a week. Or save gas by walking to the store more. ;)
PennyMoney

Postby mikeg55 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 am

PennyMoney wrote:mikeg55, I'd say you are lucky that your kids haven't sprained their ankles in those cracks, divets and holes in the Prince Park fields.

And haven't you noticed that the play structure at Meadow Park is GONE!

I'm one of the ones who hauls my rake and broom down to my local park. Do you take care of your neighborhood park too?

Our Swim Center is downright embarassing. Needs paint and upgrades and improvements. Twenty-five years ago it was nice looking and a lot of fun.

I will vote yes. A dollar a week is a tiny price to pay for improvements to Petaluma. I'll give up a cup of coffee once a week. Or save gas by walking to the store more. ;)

My kids have played at Prince Park for years. I have not noticed any cracks, divets and holes. it's dirt and grass. its not perfect. were not talking collegiate soccer here. the kids trip each other, throw elbows, and take each other out. I'm more worried about that. I don't care about Meadow park because my kids don't play there. If the neighborhood cares, they can go ahead and have a fundraiser. my kids took swimming over the summer. The center looked fine. water looked beautiful. why would I rake my local park??? the leaves turn into mulch and nourish the soil. the park looks fine. NO MORE TAXES. Our votes will cancel each other out.
mikeg55

Postby Chris Weber » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 am

In principal, I am not opposed to spending money on parks and recreation centers. I truly believe it is a good thing.

I am opposed to spending money we don't have, to taxiing residents of our community beyond their ability to pay, and to squandering money.

This city has squandered money. The decisions made about how to spend the resources that belong to the people of Petaluma are irresponsible at best.

Streets in disrepair, street lights that don't work, ignored maintenance.

We are not talking about a school bond that comes with legal restrictions--we are talking about a property tax measure that would go to the city of Petaluma with no legal oversight or restrictions and would be flushed down the toilet like everything else in this town.

I love Petaluma and I love Sonoma County. I have lived many places in this country and many places in the US and this is by far the best, but we need to stanch the fiscal irresponsibility of our elected officials or this city is going to turn into something reminiscent of the rust belt.

I've been there--I don't want to go back.

STOP giving them money to spend.
Chris Weber

Postby DLoozional » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 am

localmom wrote:It's not for "Them", Measure X is for US. You and me, our kids, our seniors, the Polly Klaas Center, etc. It's for the facilities that we use, or would like to.

You're right. I agree, but I already paid for this stuff. I already pay enough. I pay enough to have these parks and improvements you are talking about AND a whole lot more. I don't get that because my money is squandered. Therefore I'm not wiling to pay ANY MORE TO ANYONE willingly and I can't support ANYTHING that adds more to my tax bill and takes more out of my pocket. I can't support that because it's just another form of bailout. You folks PFOR are stepping up and trying to bail them out. Hats off to you, but I don't want them bailed out. Does this mean we'll suffer? Yeah, and it's going to get much worse before it ever gets better.

NO MORE TAXES!!!!
DLoozional

Postby SaveOurCity » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am

I guess I was in the minority on this board. I WAS going to vote for it because I know it is money that can be used to better our community and especially the youth in our community, BUT now that the PD reports that $35,000 in "tainted money" obtained by the PNA as a result of their threats to take action against the new Friedman's project will be ACCEPTED by the nonprofit Friends of the Petaluma River, which fund raises for and manages the River Heritage Center... I can no longer support or vote for this otherwise worthy tax! I will not give my tax money to any organization that would accept that kind of money. Integrity comes FIRST (THANK YOU Heritage Homes)... how else are we going to compromise our principles in the next threatened lawsuit by PNA or any other group out to blackmail developers?

Sadly I will now vote NO on X....
SaveOurCity

Postby localmom » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

SaveOurCity wrote:I guess I was in the minority on this board. I WAS going to vote for it because I know it is money that can be used to better our community and especially the youth in our community, BUT now that the PD reports that $35,000 in "tainted money" obtained by the PNA as a result of their threats to take action against the new Friedman's project will be ACCEPTED by the nonprofit Friends of the Petaluma River, which fund raises for and manages the River Heritage Center... I can no longer support or vote for this otherwise worthy tax! I will not give my tax money to any organization that would accept that kind of money. Integrity comes FIRST (THANK YOU Heritage Homes)... how else are we going to compromise our principles in the next threatened lawsuit by PNA or any other group out to blackmail developers?

Sadly I will now vote NO on X....

What? That's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, don't you think? Did you read the article, in that Merlone Geier themselves encouraged the Friends of the Petaluma River to take the funds? The FotPR plans to use the bulk of the $35k on supplies at Friedmans, to keep it in the community and support one of the new tenants in return.

I'll also note that PFOR designated the projects/recipients of the parcel tax funds well in advance of this settlement regarding Deer Creek. Who even knew that was going to happen? I'm just not getting your logic here.
localmom

Postby FNG » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm

OB1 wrote:Remember when the CIty went on an "improvement spree?" Longitude and Latitude signs, planters along the sidewalks, recycle and trash cans? Nothing was maintained and they are eyesores all over town.

Absolutely NO NEW TAX MEASURES.

VOTE OUT THE CURRENT COUNCIL.

I always wondered about the Lat/Long on different signs and what is that about. Improvement? Was it a geocacher who thunked that one up?

The parks are in horrible shape and need work. So do the streets. I don't trust that should Measure X be approved the funding would not be squandered. Spending money on upkeep doesn't get you relected, cutting a ribbon at an opening does.
FNG

Postby DLoozional » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 pm

localmom wrote:What? That's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, don't you think? Did you read the article, in that Merlone Geier themselves encouraged the Friends of the Petaluma River to take the funds?

That's kind of the idea localmom. Throw the bathwater out, if the baby is in it, it goes too ... then the bath. Throw it all out because none of it is working. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your positive outlook. I admire it, but I don't share it.

Do you honestly think that Merlone Geier wanted to give PFOR $35K? Seriously? The money was the result of extortion. You give X amount of dollars or we sue. If I'm Merlone Geier, I would also encourage whoever was designated to take the money to make sure this got behind them and they didn't have to sit down with Francis again and work something else out.

If Merlone Geier wanted to give the PFOR $35K, they would have contacted them before meeting with Francis and the only reason Francis and his kind didn't take the money themselves was because of the heat they caught for taking the money from Regency. Probably figured if they designated certain non-profits as recipient from the extorted funds, people wouldn't be so angry.

Don't think that worked all that well.
DLoozional

PreviousNext

Return to In the news