Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

SMART rail work to close Santa Rosa, Petaluma roads

Discussions related to articles

Postby fxlnll » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 am

Monday, October 8, 2012 at 6:00 by Road.Warrior
SMART rail projects will force these scheduled road closures this week and next:

–Third Street in Santa Rosa at the railroad tracks from Tuesday through Thursday.

Corona Road in Petaluma on Thursday at the tracks to repair work done last month. Petaluma police say the work created a dip; SMART says it’s a bump particularly noticeable at speeds faster than the speed limit. Either way, Corona should be open Friday and should be smooth. :lol:

What a joke. Spending money for another make work project. SMART train or rail my a$$. The only bigger money waster is the "bullet train" :idea:
fxlnll

Re: SMART rail work to close Santa Rosa, Petaluma roads

Postby da shaman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

have the SMART people figured out how much each rider will have to be subsidized for riding on this thing? Of course, the subsidy will come from us, the taxpayer, so that a few may enjoy their ride to central San Rafael. Can't wait for the bullet train-Modesto to Coalinga, both garden spots of California.
da shaman

Postby FNG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:58 pm

150 Years ago you naysayers would have been calling the transcontinental railroad as unnecessary.***
80 years ago you naysayers would have been calling the Golden Gate and the Bay Bridges a waste of money.
60 years ago you naysayers would have been saying the Interstate Highway system will be under utilized.
40 years ago the same arguements were made about BART.

To quote a famous movie, "If you build it they will come". Yeah Santa Rosa to San Rafael will not carry many passengers, but its the 1st step. Once SMART gets closer to teh ferry terminal it will be a whole different system.

Hi-speed rail is the same story. You have to start somewhere and that somewhere just happens to be in the middle of the central valley. We may smuggly think its in the middle of nowhere, but Coalinga is home to many families. I look forward to the hi-speed rail being completed. Unfortunately, it is hi-speed not a bullet train like Europe or Japan. The California train will have too many stops along the way. Years ago my reserve unit was in San Pedro, to fly there was a five hour ordeal between parking at airport, security line, delayed flights, gathering luggage, finding teh rental car and finally reaching my destination. Five hours! I'll take the train, both of them.

*** Built with private capital the transcontinental railroad was heavily subsidized with land grants.
FNG

Postby fxlnll » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 pm

[quote="FNG"]

Hi-speed rail is the same story. You have to start somewhere and that somewhere just happens to be in the middle of the central valley. We may smuggly think its in the middle of nowhere, but Coalinga is home to many families. I look forward to the hi-speed rail being completed. Unfortunately, it is hi-speed not a bullet train like Europe or Japan. The California train will have too many stops along the way. Years ago my reserve unit was in San Pedro, to fly there was a five hour ordeal between parking at airport, security line, delayed flights, gathering luggage, finding teh rental car and finally reaching my destination. Five hours! I'll take the train, both of them.

*** Built with private capital the transcontinental railroad was heavily subsidized with land grants.[/quote
Even if you were born today, you will never ride on a high speed, bullet train.
bakersfield to Fresno. Now that's a huge hub for travel. :roll:
"if they build it they will" Ask Amtrak how that is working out!!!!!
fxlnll

Postby Chris Weber » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

fxlnll: Have you ever traveled by train? Yes, it takes a little time, but frankly it makes the trip part of the vacation.

Flying sucks--its crowded, uncomfortable and the security is obviously inadequate but still invasive.

Take the time to take the train and relax and look out the window.
Chris Weber

Postby fxlnll » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Yes, and I would rather drive.
1 I get there slightly behind todays air travel
2 I can get the same view as a train
3 I don't have to deal with government employees!!
So again a huge no thank you.
fxlnll

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 am

the family and i like to go to Disneyland or Legoland every year, sometimes both, in our minivan. We enjoy stopping along the way whenever we feel like it. We can bring anything we want with us. We have the freedom to go anywhere at anytime. I don't have to worry about where my kids are, who is sitting next to them. Plus we can pile the van with souvenirs with no problems. No SMART train needed or desired for me.
mikeg55

Postby Chris Weber » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 am

SMART is a local commuter service--not long distance travel. If you have to commute through Sonoma and Marin counties I would think you would welcome anything that gets cars off the road. Certainly, GGT bus service has been cut back so much that it doesn't make much difference. I count myself extremely fortunate that I don't have to do that anymore.

We have always enjoyed long distance travel by train. The view isn't the same as the highway and frequently goes through different parts of cities and towns. I can remember a very nice trip back from Oregon a few years ago where the wife and I had breakfast in the dining car while passing through blooming orchards in the Chico area.

We've never felt the need to carry a lot of stuff with us or buy a lot of things while we were on the road.

I guess you are either a train person or you aren't. I've been enjoying hearing the train sounds as they pass through town again.
Chris Weber

Postby DLoozional » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am

This train is just another squandering of our money.
DLoozional

Postby BORN HERE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 am

Not to mention all of the private land owners who are being required to fork out hundreds of thousands of dollars for crossings on their own property. How does this work? Think of all the farmers who need to move cattle or farm equipment across these "smart tracks", now they need to come up with hundreds of thousands just to keep farming.
BORN HERE

Next

Return to In the news