Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

foodies

Discussions related to articles

foodies

Postby PetalumaGal » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 am

I have no idea how right on or not the vicious review of Guy Fieri's NY restaurant was. I am tired though of chefs and food critics who think they are discussing brain surgery instead of cooking. They have this dead seriousness that is quite ridiculous in the scheme of the world. I think Guy is disliked because he approaches the food experience with joy.
PetalumaGal

Re: foodies

Postby fxlnll » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 am

Or maybe it's just true. Either way it will get people to the restaurant just to see..
fxlnll

Postby Schweinsteiger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:51 pm

While things such as Yelp, gives folks a bit of a gauge of what to expect it also gave “foodies” their own personal soapbox. :P
Schweinsteiger

Postby nightowl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:27 pm

I've only eaten at one of Guy's restaurants once -- when he had that Johnny Garlic's on the Boulevard North way back when. I recall that the meal was pretty mediocre and we never returned. I've seen his show three or four times and it was fairly entertaining and the restaurants/dives seemed interesting. However, I think restaurateurs -- locally and nationally -- need to focus less on the bling and bam and the gelled hair and more on just producing consistently excellent food and service that keep people coming back. We've got our favorite places in Petaluma, Sonoma, Napa, SF and beyond and we return to these over and over because the quality of the food and service both click. Maybe Guy thought he could capitalize on his "fame" and get away with serving so-so fare to NYC tourists at this locale because they're a fleeting crowd who won't be returning. Or maybe his staff just messed up royally...
nightowl

Return to In the news