Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

New smoking ban?

Discussions related to articles

Re: New smoking ban?

Postby fxlnll » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 am

russet wrote:How about the cars driving by filled with smoke and a baby or children inside? That is what should be illegal but its not! .

actually it is
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=5869495

All this anti smoking BS and yet in reality the Government doesn't have the balls to outlaw it. I guess they really like the "revenue" it brings in. I bet we still subsidize the growers also. Damn this country is screwed :ugeek:
fxlnll

Postby PetalumaGal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am

This ban does seem pretty radical, but I am thankful that the next time my landlord rents an apartment next to mine, it will have to be a nonsmoker. In the past I have had my apartment stink like an ashtray because of the neighbor next door, and as a nonsmoker it was so disgusting.
If you have ever watched someone die of lung cancer, you know how double the tragedy is when the person was a nonsmoker.
Cigarette smoke, besides being stinky, can be lethal to all who encounter it on a regular basis. Just as we have laws about alcohol, now we are getting a handle on tobacco, and it is actually overdue.
PetalumaGal

Postby da shaman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 pm

re. fireplaces and chimneys: the last place I owned had a fireplace and it was used during the cold weather. It was inspected and cleaned every September because I did not want to be susceptible to chimney flue fires (I saw first hand the damage that they can inflict.) Now, if I had an aversion to wood fires and smoke, I think it would have been a clue that people use their chimneys in certain neighborhoods and maybe that wasn't the area for me to move into. The city imposed its will on construction in various parts of town be saying that only gas fireplaces would be allowed (like in my neighborhood.) Worthless for heating.

Could a landlord refuse to rent to someone who smokes? I don't believe so, it would be perceived as discriminatory. The landlord could write it into the rental contract that smoking will not be allowed inside the unit (hotels and motels do it all the time.) If the renter decides to smoke anyway, well, that could mean the forfeiture of all deposits.

When will the day come that my neighbor cannot smoke in her backyard or in front of the house that she owns? Maybe a type of drone will be developed to sniff out tobacco smoke and nail the lawbreaker. We have a law that you cannot smoke at a public park. I am all for that when we consider playgrounds, sports fields, picnic tables and the like. But, if a person is 50 yards away from all these things, does it make any sense to enforce the ordinance? As long as he/she picks up the smoked out butt and properly disposes of it, I have no problem with it. Better that than having piles of dog excrement strewn all about.

I said it before and I will say it again: who will enforce this ordinance? The cops don't have the time. Are you willing to call the police on your neighbors, give your name and sign a citizens arrest? What about smoking around kids? This won't stop it. The morons are probably the same ones who drink to they pass out or smoke dope in their homes, or leave a gun on a nightstand with the kids around.
da shaman

Postby DLoozional » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Property owners should be able to decide if their facility will be smoking or non-smoking facilities. This ordinance is incredibly horrible. The government is telling people what they can do in their own homes and people are in favor of it? Don't smoke. Never liked it, but this infringes on personal freedom.
DLoozional

Postby punkink » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:58 am

I think we should ban reggae music next, that stuff is just awful.
punkink

Postby walk2k » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:14 pm

breathing 2nd hand smoke also infringes on personal freedom.

quit smoking, end of problem.
walk2k

Previous

Return to In the news