Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

December 7!

Discussions related to articles

December 7!

Postby fxlnll » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

I guess no one really cares about what happened today in 1941. It is nice to see at least the Press Democrat had something on it. I wonder how long before 9/11 will get that way.
While I lived in Hawaii in the late '60's and the couple times I have been back, going to the memorial has always been a very surreal experience. It seems hard to believe that the USS Arizona is still leaking oil. Thank you Veterans
fxlnll

Re: December 7!

Postby Bonz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Remember Pearl Harbor! Hug your children, Thank a vet, pay attention.
Bonz

Postby 2182 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Unfortunately this too will be eventually forgotten. When any and all those who participated in this are all gone there will only be books to remind us and buy the time all the editing is all done .......... we'll, I'll let you speculate............

I thank my elder vets one and all.......living or deceased

Postby fxlnll » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I asked my child a junior in one of the high schools in town if they talked about Pearl Harbor today . she said no. so sad
fxlnll

Postby da shaman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm

The attack on Pearl Harbor, D-Day, and a number of other historical events that shaped this nation are forgotten. Teachers either don't know, don't care or opt not to teach the subjects because they appear to glorify the imperialistic attitude of the U.S. pervasive at the time. Damn shame. Korean War is a footnote. VIetnam soon to be. Just a matter of time before Iraq and Afghanistan disappear from the books. When my kids were off for a particular holiday I would ask them "why". There would be a mad scramble for my history books.Then we would discuss the day.
da shaman

Postby OB1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:51 pm

da shaman wrote:The attack on Pearl Harbor, D-Day, and a number of other historical events that shaped this nation are forgotten. Teachers either don't know, don't care or opt not to teach the subjects because they appear to glorify the imperialistic attitude of the U.S. pervasive at the time. Damn shame. Korean War is a footnote. VIetnam soon to be. Just a matter of time before Iraq and Afghanistan disappear from the books. When my kids were off for a particular holiday I would ask them "why". There would be a mad scramble for my history books.Then we would discuss the day.

Actually you are wrong.

Pearl Harbor was discussed in detail (in the classroom) on 12.07.2012 at PJHS. Teaching World History is alive and well, especially remembering Pearl Harbor at a local Junior High School.
OB1

Postby MyUserName » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I just asked my kids if Pearl Harbor was discussed at all yesterday, happy to report that my Casa kid said that one of the teachers did address it as part of the days curriculum.
MyUserName

Postby da shaman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 pm

did the teachers also discuss the reason behind Japan establishing the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere? It led to huge expansion of the Japanese armed forces and forays into the countries of Asia to take the minerals and resources not found in the Japanese islands. At the time it was sold as "taking care of our fellow brothers and sisters (or words to that affect.)" While at PHS, my daughter did a term paper on this topic. The students were told that reports about Pearl Harbor, Holocaust, D-Day, A-bombs, would not be accepted as he wanted the kids to do some research. The teacher had no idea what the Greater... was. She did research, books not computer. Took her some time to complete. She got an "A."

Well, if a couple teachers discussed the subject, then the kids came out the winner. Still put my money on it not being discussed in most schools.
da shaman

Postby Schweinsteiger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:45 am

My one year old son (you can never start early enough) watched the FDR speech with me, while he was eating his breakfast. He will know about December 7th, 1941 as well as every important date of historical importance.
Schweinsteiger

Return to In the news