Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Vehicle stolen from Petaluma Chevron station

Discussions related to articles

Vehicle stolen from Petaluma Chevron station

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Woman gets her vehicle stolen at the gas station after leaving it unlocked and running while she went inside the minimart. STUUUUUUUUUUU-PIDDDDDDDDDDD! I don't know how many times I've seen vehicles like that at the gas station and thought "free car"!
mikeg55

Re: Vehicle stolen from Petaluma Chevron station

Postby Drake94954 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm

If I was the insurance carrier I would refuse to pay the claim. A true Idiot.
Drake94954

Postby ravey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 pm

At least she didn't leave her kid in the car......
ravey

Postby da shaman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm

I like to take my dog for walks around 6 AM. I am always amazed at the number of mindless idiots that warm up their cars while they are in the house doing whatever. Like mikeg55, I have also thought "free car." If I were so inclined I would jump in the car and drive it to some inconvenient place and leave it. I wonder if these people have ever thought about someone stealing their car and running someone over or getting involved in a fatal collision. I agree, the insurance company should deny any claims or raise their rates if the car is recovered.
da shaman

Postby wanderer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm

I am not sure, but I think it is illegal to start your car and let it warm up infront of your house. I googled it sometime ago, and I think 42 states say you cannot do it. My lady is ibn North Carolina and they issue tickets if you do that....
wanderer

Postby Therewolf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:16 pm

With the temp at 6:25 AM sitting at 27 degrees for the last few days, I've had to let my truck warm up for a bit just to clear the ice from the windshield. Against the law? How the hell would they expect people to see enough to drive?

Like many newer vehicles, I can remote-start it from the key fob. The doors stay locked while the defroster and seat heater do their thing. If someone were to break a window and try driving away, the engine would shut down and the alarm would sound. In the worst case I'd call OnStar and let them tell the cops exactly where the truck is while they kill all power and keep the doors locked until the arresting officers arrive. Good stuff--although I figure that someday, "smarter mice" will figure out how to defeat this trap.

I don't believe that a '98 Explorer has any of these features. :D
Therewolf

Return to In the news