Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

New Spanish-English school begins to take shape

Discussions related to articles

New Spanish-English school begins to take shape

Postby mikeg55 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

I hate to ask but is the property tax measure that just passed to make improvements to the Old Adobe Union School district going to be used to refurbish BE, which was closed to save money? I don't think people voted for that.
mikeg55

Re: New Spanish-English school begins to take shape

Postby JEH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm

We are so happy Bernard Eldredge School will be open again! I'll be glad if our tax dollars are spent on improvements and upgrades and supplies for the incoming students and teachers.

Hope they have a contest or some kind of a vote to decide on a new name for the school.

Any ideas? Terra Bernardo? ;)
JEH

Postby mikeg55 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm

JEH wrote:We are so happy Bernard Eldredge School will be open again! I'll be glad if our tax dollars are spent on improvements and upgrades and supplies for the incoming students and teachers.

Hope they have a contest or some kind of a vote to decide on a new name for the school.

Any ideas? Terra Bernardo? ;)

Well I'm not happy. The school is closed to save money. Then a property tax bill is passed (which I didn't vote for) which is supposed to improve the remaining schools. Now that money will go towards rebuilding the closed school, instead of all of it going to improve the remaining schools. Plus the article mentioned this huge search for the principal. how much did that cost? how much will the tax payers be on the hook for his probably exorbitant pension to get him to come here? I still believe these bilngual schools are more for the benefit of the spanish speaking (illegal?) children then the english speaking kids. the district needs to raise test scores for ESL stutdents so they make an entire school to boost the test scores and get more money from the state. Call me a racist, but I still think if you are going to a school funded by US citizen tax payers, all children should have proof of citizenship. Just my opinion.
mikeg55

Postby specvdriver » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

It doesn't matter what you think or whether you are/aren't racist, since the supreme court upheld that any child is entitled to a public education.

Since they are out of space at Miwok, they had to expand to another school.

While I don't like raising taxes either, I think having an educated populace is for the greater good. I want smart, educated adults running things and growing the economy, especially in my old age. The alternative is "Idiocracy".
specvdriver

Postby da shaman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:49 pm

I believe that in order to make this school work there must be a commitment from the parents to speak English with the kids. Using the example of a Mexican family: it is well and good to teach the child Spanish, but it does no good for the kid to be in school all day and being immersed in English but get no encouragement at home where only Spanish is spoken.

My grandchild is in a speech therapy class which has done wonders for her. One of the other kids in the class is Hispanic. The teacher wants to have parents in the class room to see what the child is learning and what to encourage (enforce?) at home. The mother speaks to her child in Spanish only during the class. The kid is not progressing and actually is holding the rest of the class back.

Growing up in the city in the 50's and 60's I went to school with kids whose parents were immigrants and spoke different languages. However, they spoke to their kids in English and some even attended night school once a week to learn English. Even the kids that came here knowing little English picked it up pretty fast because of the dual support they received at school and home.

This school can be very successful if the administrators insist on support from the home front. I would rather see my tax monies go to support such a school to give the kids a chance rather than have them get so discouraged that they drop out and become thugs, gangbangers and societal parasites. Regarding the name it will probably be something warm, fuzzy and politically correct.
da shaman

Postby PennyMoney » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 am

mikeg55, you really should go to Miwok School and VISIT/OBSERVE/VOLUNTEER with the Dual Immersion Program and interact with the students and the teachers. THEN speak your mind!

p.s. Do you even know that a very large percentage of the students are English-speaking students? I personally know families who are ecstatic that their children are excelling in the Dual Immersion.

I am very happy for the POSITIVE changes to B.E. School. Good for our community, good for our future, good for Petaluma.
PennyMoney

Postby localmom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 am

If the Dual Immersion program at Miwok has outgrown their space available, then common sense would dictate moving the program to the property that the school ALREADY OWNS and is sitting idle. This allows the Old Adobe school district to accept more students into the Dual Immersion program, as well as allowing more students into Miwok.

Since districts are largely funded on a per-student basis this seems like a common sense move to me. And I'm not even a parent in the OAUSD.
localmom

Postby mikeg55 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm

PennyMoney wrote:mikeg55, you really should go to Miwok School and VISIT/OBSERVE/VOLUNTEER with the Dual Immersion Program and interact with the students and the teachers. THEN speak your mind!

p.s. Do you even know that a very large percentage of the students are English-speaking students? I personally know families who are ecstatic that their children are excelling in the Dual Immersion.

I am very happy for the POSITIVE changes to B.E. School. Good for our community, good for our future, good for Petaluma.

I would be interested to know what the percentage at Miwok is ESL. I'd also like to know if the program is so great, why don't the other schools in town do something similar. I'd also like to know if all the kids in public school have parents who pay taxes, since it looks like both my sales tax and property tax are going into this effort. If every child deserves an education, then every parent should pay there fair share.
mikeg55

Postby JEH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

mikeg55, I don't know why this matters to you, but I think the percentage of ESL students to non-ESL in the program is about 50/50. You can ask the principal of Miwok for an exact answer.

For answers to you other questions, call the superintendent of OAUSD, Cindy Pilar. I'm sure she will be glad to set you straight on your concerns.

As far as taxes, everyone pays sales tax. If you own a home, you pay the property tax. If you rent a home or an apartment, the landlord pays the taxes out of the rent. There may be a few who don't pay taxes (homeless, etc.) but so what? It takes a village.
JEH

Postby 2182 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I'd also like to know if all the kids in public school have parents who pay taxes, since it looks like both my sales tax and property tax are going into this effort. If every child deserves an education, then every parent should pay there fair share.

Agreed! Do away with the tax exemption for children, if anything they should be taxed! ;) Schools are much more expensive than they were years ago. Not to mention feeding the children when they are over weight in the first place. They do most of the vandalism, costing taxpayers once again! What ever happened to parental responsibility? See what happens when we turn our children over to the state to educate and take care of?

My dad was in the military and he took our family over to Spain. At that time there was no schools for military kids in English. I HAD to attend school and I had to learn Spanish Fast! I did it! And did well in school until there was a school opened on base for the military brats. Yes, it was a shock at first, but I adapted. I just happed to think ESL schools are a waste, given my experience.

Next

Return to In the news