Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

Hyannis 5-Year-Old Threatened With Suspension For Making Gun

Discussions related to articles

Hyannis 5-Year-Old Threatened With Suspension For Making Gun

Postby fxlnll » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm

I love the quote "A mother says her 5-year-old boy was threatened with suspension after he made a gun out of Legos during an after school program."

Since when is a gun made out of legos a gun???

HYANNIS (CBS) – A mother says her 5-year-old boy was threatened with suspension after he made a gun out of Legos during an after school program.

Sheila Cruz received a written warning recently about her son from the after school staff at the Hyannis West Elementary School because he had been using toys inappropriately.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Doug Cope reports

While Cruz thought her son Joseph Cardosa was just being a kid, she said school administrators called his actions a threat.

“I was given a book and they told me he’s going to be suspended if he does it again and to sign here,” Cruz told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Tuesday. “I just couldn’t believe it. He’s 5-years-old.”

Joseph’s parents called the school principal but were given the same warning.

“‘I said listen, he’s a 5-year-old, I think maybe a redirection would be more appropriate. I understand what’s going on with this whole thing in schools and everything else but couldn’t they have given him a warning?’ ” Cruz said.

“She (the principal) said, ‘it’s a threat to other children and other children could have been scared.’”

Cruz said she spoke with her son and explained to him that it’s not OK to play with guns at school. Cruz said even though he knows playing with guns is inappropriate, he is still a 5-year-old boy who just wants to play.

“He knows that but he was just being a kid, having fun, playing,” Cruz said.

But school officials say little Joe made the toy gun, then ran around the classroom, pointing it at other kids, and making shooting sounds.

Cruz says while she and her husband thought about a new school for Joseph, they don’t think they will take the incident any further.

“It’s not the school we hate, it’s the actions the school took that we don’t like,” she said. “They made it into something a lot bigger than it should have been.”

The superintendent told WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields they have a responsibility to make sure the children feel comfortable and not intimidated in school.

“We’re trying to create an atmosphere of respect,” says Barnstable School Superintendent Mary Czajkowski.
fxlnll

Re: Hyannis 5-Year-Old Threatened With Suspension For Making Gun

Postby Big Dad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:06 am

Maybe the city should take a vote to Ban Lego's.....Maybe only 10 lego's per box.
I'm pretty sure they could get Feinsteins signature...... :o :roll:
Big Dad

Postby da shaman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:54 am

could it be that school administrators are so afraid that they will get sued for any perceived transgression committed by a student? The creativity and imaginations of kids are being stifled. Can't play cops and robbers. Can't plan cowboys and Indians (ooops, I meant to say Indigenous Americans). Can't play dodgeball or tag. Every kid has to be a winner and receive an award, otherwise, their self-esteem will be harmed with no hope of ever getting it back. But, it is okay to let the child watch all the garbage on television or play video games which display violence or other acts of bad behavior.
Would the schools stance be the same if the kid had made a replica of a penis out of Legos be more acceptable (I know, probably pretty difficult to do)? We are teaching our kids not to do anything unless it is allowed on a list provided by the government. We are losing it, folks.
da shaman

Postby fxlnll » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 pm

The other horrible moment in school zest to stop gun violence was when a kid was suspended for using a "paper" gun. It was a square the had the lower left corner ripped off. It really is a sad world.
fxlnll

Return to In the news