Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

State Board of Equalization approves 3.5 cent gas tax

Discussions related to articles

State Board of Equalization approves 3.5 cent gas tax

Postby fxlnll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:38 pm

http://www.petaluma360.com/article/2013 ... l&tc=pgall

it's so greaat that all these f-ing priuses are running around and we are buying less gasoline. Because of that we get to pay more extortion fees. Sounds a lot like Petaluma Water. We conserved so much, revenue goes down so they need to raise the rates. Government sucks.

"Gasoline consumption has consistently fallen each fiscal year since 2005 and was 14.6 billion gallons in the 2012 fiscal year. The decrease has reduced tax revenues, according to equalization board figures."
fxlnll

Re: State Board of Equalization approves 3.5 cent gas tax

Postby russet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 am

Totally right. I'm sick of just passing it on to tax payers. We were asked to conserve! we were asked to drive less! we were asked to buy fuel efficent cars! We did it all and now we PAY. If I passed all my losses that I have to pay because of all the higher prices I pay I'd be out of buiness because I would be too expensive.The government and city have to just learn to budget and suck it up and take the loss like we all do! Not pass on everything on to us.
russet

Postby da shaman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 am

in addition to posting here, write and email to your elected legislator. I sent one to newly elected Levine. I then sent copies to many people in my address book encouraging them to write to their legislators. Shaking heads and shoulders won't do it. Make some noise.
da shaman

Postby fxlnll » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:08 am

russet wrote: If I passed all my losses that I have to pay because of all the higher prices I pay I'd be out of buiness because I would be too expensive.The government and city have to just learn to budget and suck it up and take the loss like we all do! Not pass on everything on to us.

In either case it is not really a loss. They have been begging for Americans to conserve, water, gas and etc... When we do they punish us and raise prices. Just wait to all you smokers out there finally quit. Look at lost "revenue" when that happens. It's just crazy...
fxlnll

Postby The Watcher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

I presume this will ahem, pay for the high speed rail project?

Again, why are administrators planning on variable sources of revenue? Sounds like bad decision making.

Oh and what happens when SMART is running and even more people aren't using the same amount of gas.

Sounds like a lawsuit is coming?

How can you increase taxes based on "lack of revenue"? Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with that logic?
The Watcher

Postby walk2k » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

you can blame Prop 13 for this one (again)

also the political corporate-shills we call "elected officials" who won't raise income or corporate taxes lest they lose their campaign funding.

if the state needs money, Apple alone is sitting on $120 Billion in cash.
walk2k

Postby MyUserName » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Think I recall reading Facebook didn't/aren't paying a cent in state or federal taxes for 2012....and, the Feds are allotting 3 Billion more in tax incentives over the next few years to them. Hmmmm? How does that help cash strapped California?
Guess our elected officials like the campaign contributions received from companies like Facebook more than they like their constituents. Cause honestly, our elected officials seem to have no problem raising our taxes, last I checked, Facebook can certainly afford to pay their fair share! How do the rest of us sign up for that kind of tax break? That's right, we can't. We have to play by the rules
MyUserName

Postby mikeg55 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:51 am

walk2k wrote:you can blame Prop 13 for this one (again)

also the political corporate-shills we call "elected officials" who won't raise income or corporate taxes lest they lose their campaign funding.

if the state needs money, Apple alone is sitting on $120 Billion in cash.

I don't understand. I thought Prop 13 put limits at raising property taxes? As someone who already pays $6000 a year in property tax, I think I like Prop 13.
mikeg55

Return to In the news