Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 5 guests

Yesteryears

Discussions related to articles

Yesteryears

Postby Sassyone55 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Wow, Yesteryears butter-n-eggs day has a meaning of years 1995, What ever happened to yesteryears in the meaning of 1930,40's, 50's, 60's,70's etc. When alot of us were here to see changes to this wonderful town as in Scarf-n-barf, PDQ, Showcase, eastside was fields, downtown was ever so lovely showers restaurant, A-1 Bakery, Volpi's where it was a store in the front and yes hidden room in back for drinking (prohibition era), the penny candy store next door, I could go on and on those were yesteryears not people who came here in 1995 why is the marshall not someone who grew up here and has generations of history here. I could name a few, maybe they don't donate their time or money however they can truly be resources for history of this town. Just venting ;-)
Sassyone55

Re: Yesteryears

Postby PetalumaGal » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Time goes by. Things change. Your old memories are valid good memories, and history should be honored. But as a "newbie" in Petaluma of only 36 years, I am always turned off by the "old Petaluma" families who somehow think it is their town and the rest of us are only visitors. Remember that current Petalumans are today making memories for the future. Past decades do not have a monopoly on specialness.
PetalumaGal

Postby fxlnll » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 pm

PetalumaGal wrote:I am always turned off by the "old Petaluma" families who somehow think it is their town and the rest of us are only visitors. Remember that current Petalumans are today making memories for the future.
Ah the butter and eggs parade has nothing to do with 1995. It is all about the "past" when chickens, eggs and dairy ruled the area. The problem with the New residents are a lot of them are misplaced marinites who want to convert Petaluma to a mini Marin. It is the same reason Oregon, Idaho and such places hate hate Californians. When they move to those locations they want a starbucks and the connivance they had in CA. It just seems stupid.
fxlnll

Postby PennyMoney » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 am

Speaking of yesteryears, does anyone remember a trampoline park around the 1970's? I have a vague memory of it. Maybe it was near the fairgrounds? Maybe it was temporary?
PennyMoney

Postby da shaman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 am

yer right fxlnnl. It is the fault of all the newbies that want to come up here and change things. I left San Francisco (4th generation) for Marin because of all the zeroes from the east coast and midwest flocked to the once beautiful city to hang out and experience the summer of love (all after it went belly-up). So they spent their time smoking dope, dropping acid and bearing babies with names like TreeTrunk, Abalone and Desertspring. After some real nice years in Marin the flakes came up there, made headlines with their Beemers, hot tubs and ostrich feathers. I thought I finally got sane by moving to Petaluma in the early 90's. Never regretted coming here, even if most of the politicos are somewhere out in left field. I like the town and the countryside west of it. The people are pretty good and my kids got a very good education. All in all, this is still a good place to be if you can't stand the cold of Montana.
da shaman

Postby fxlnll » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:01 pm

da shaman wrote:yer right fxlnnl. It is the fault of all the newbies that want to come up here and change things.

I won't blame ALL, but a lot want to have what they left. I would be considered a newbie. I drives me crazy that "city folk" want to live in the country then go chase a pig farmer or mushroom farm away.
fxlnll

Postby ptlmafrnd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:42 pm

da shaman wrote:yer right fxlnnl. It is the fault of all the newbies that want to come up here and change things. I left San Francisco (4th generation) for Marin because of all the zeroes from the east coast and midwest flocked to the once beautiful city to hang out and experience the summer of love (all after it went belly-up). So they spent their time smoking dope, dropping acid and bearing babies with names like TreeTrunk, Abalone and Desertspring. After some real nice years in Marin the flakes came up there, made headlines with their Beemers, hot tubs and ostrich feathers. I thought I finally got sane by moving to Petaluma in the early 90's. Never regretted coming here, even if most of the politicos are somewhere out in left field. I like the town and the countryside west of it. The people are pretty good and my kids got a very good education. All in all, this is still a good place to be if you can't stand the cold of Montana.

this is a pretty funny post. no disrespect but, you are ragging on all the "newbies" moving into sf, then marin all the while you are a "newbie" in marin, then petaluma. i'm sure some folks looked at you the exact same way you looked at those folks moving into your town.
ptlmafrnd

Postby fxlnll » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:50 pm

ptlmafrnd wrote:
this is a pretty funny post. no disrespect but, you are ragging on all the "newbies" moving into sf, then marin all the while you are a "newbie" in marin, then petaluma. i'm sure some folks looked at you the exact same way you looked at those folks moving into your town.

I guess you didn't understand his response. It is not about being new, but about trying to change your new location to the place you left. If your place was so great then go back!!!
fxlnll

Postby ptlmafrnd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 pm

fxlnll wrote:
ptlmafrnd wrote:

I guess you didn't understand his response. It is not about being new, but about trying to change your new location to the place you left. If your place was so great then go back!!!

oh, i understood the response. who is to say that this person didn't bring a little of sf and marin up to petaluma with him/her and there are folks in petaluma who don't like what he/she brought with him up here, just like they didn't like what those other folks brought to sf, then to marin? oh i understood completely. i also understand the irony!
ptlmafrnd

Postby russet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 am

I remember a trampoline place but more in the 60's. It was on the corner of Washington and Wilson where the chevron station is today.
russet

Next

Return to In the news