Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Long-delayed shopping center opens in Petaluma

Discussions related to articles

Long-delayed shopping center opens in Petaluma

Postby mikeg55 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Wow, look at all those happy, smiling, employed people at Target. I wonder what they would be doing right now without Target? Looking for work, that's what! From what I saw, a lot of young looking, probably students were employed there too. A definite need for part-time work has been met. Looks like the majority of Petalumans really wanted a Target too! The parking lot was full of cars and the store full of shoppers. I guess those anti-big box patrons aren't really going to be missed. Have fun antiquing! Spending all my money in Petaluma this weekend!
mikeg55

Re: Long-delayed shopping center opens in Petaluma

Postby JEH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:57 pm

mike, don't spend it ALL. Save some for a rainy day!

Target is OK. We've rarely shopped there. Now that they are in Petaluma we will go there once in a while. I hope they have some Made In America merchandise and not just the cheap stuff Made in China.

For the last 25 years we have done mostly local shopping whenever possible. Actually like the K-Mart Rewards Card. I seem to always knock off a few dollars with the points. Love downtown too, especially Copperfields. Haus Fortuna was nice but they closed. Hobbytown is great (now Fundominium)
JEH

Postby Bear » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 pm

JEH, your post is amusing. you want made in america stuff yet you shop at kmart? their reward cards are minimal and if you compare prices, they are so overpriced compared to target. hopefully with the competition kmart will lower their prices.

haus fortuna has been closed for a couple of years. why you bring it up now i'll never know. i do agree we need to keep fundominium going. locally owned, great merchandise and super owners.

happy the new shopping center has finally arrived.
Bear

Postby JEH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 am

bear, yes, you are right, KMart does have a lot of Made in China and other country merchandise. But we try to look for items Made in America. Bought a large American flag before the 4th of July -- that was actually made in America!

Some of the other items we buy there are toothpaste, shampoo and other toiletry and personal items. KMart is so much cheaper than CVS. If you look at the weekly ad flier, they really do have some good sale prices.

I just don't want to see KMart lose so much business that they will go out of business here and leave us with another big empty storefront. We already have a big empty old SAFEWAY.

If K-Mart does go out of business I hope Super Franks will consider expanding into the North Bay ;)
JEH

Postby Fundemonium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am

Hi JEH and Bear,

Thank you for the nice comments about Fundemonium!

Jean and I have received many positive comments on the new store and much encouragement from folks stopping in. That support means so much to us after months of hard work relaunching the store as an independent business.

Now that we have almost caught our breath from the relaunch, we will continue working on remodeling, reorganizing, and trying to make Fundemonium the best toy and hobby experience in the North Bay.

Thanks again,
Steven and Jean Elliott
www.fundemoniumtoys.com
www.facebook.com/Fundemonium
Steven Elliott
Fundemonium
171 N. McDowell Blvd.
Petaluma, CA
Ph: 707-762-9200
www.FundemoniumToys.com / www.facebook.com/Fundemonium
Fundemonium

Postby walk2k » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:40 pm

they were probably laid off from Kmart :P

the mall is ugly. but it's no different than the Kmart mall next door.
that ship sailed on the east side about 40 years ago I guess.
walk2k

Postby TJMack » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 am

OMG !!! The "Pedestrian Spine" (what we used to call the Kenilworth catwalk) is a HUGE MESS!

This is a great way for pedestrians and bicyclists to get to the new shopping center from the eastside, on Stuart Drive @ MacKenzie Ave. And avoic walking or biking across Eash Washington.

The "Pedestrian Spine" is in a sorry state of neglect. Old graffiti, and it probably hasn't been swept in many years. The worst litter is all the broken glass. We also walked over bottles, cans, cigarette butts, old food, trash, leaves, paper, broken china plates, etc. But the WORST piece of trash up there is a huge pane of glass propped up against the fence over the highway. Just an accident on 101 below waiting to happen, when someone gets the urge to throw stuff. BEWARE WHEN DRIVING UNDER THE CATWALK!

We picked up some trash on the way back.....but there is nowhere to deposit it.

Will contact the city.....this needs a MAJOR cleanup .....maybe they can work with CalTrans.

Would be nice if a high school club could "Adopt-A-Catwalk"
TJMack

Postby PennyMoney » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30 am

The catwalk was MUCH CLEANER years ago when it mostly served students at Kenilworth Jr. High. They had morning and afternoon "yard duty" monitors to make sure there was no littering or horseplay.

I am glad the catwalk is open to the public. It's fun. Great way to bike or walk over the highway. If it is the responsibility of CalTrans to keep it clean, I hope there is some kind of maintenance schedule. Maybe shopping center management or Petaluma city management can work together with CalTrans to keep it clean and safe.

Trash cans on both sides would be helpful. ;)
PennyMoney

Postby Bear » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 am

i thought part of the deal included regency cleaning it up before it opened?
Bear

Postby TJMack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks, I will contact Regency to see what they can do. They will probably call CalTrans, Caltrans will probably call the city, the city will call Regency, and so on and so on and so on.

This would be a great job for students who need community service hours. Or get the grafitti offenders up there :o
TJMack

Next

Return to In the news