Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Attorney for Sonoma State student asked to remove cross says

Discussions related to articles

Attorney for Sonoma State student asked to remove cross says

Postby fxlnll » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:19 pm

I love the hypocrisy of the left. What ever happened to freedom of religion? I am not a religious person but why would ANY normal person care if someone wore a cross?

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... awyer-says

A lawyer for the Sonoma State student asked to remove a cross necklace during a university event said his client's complaint has been completely resolved.

“The university took it seriously and took appropriate action,” said Hiram Sasser, the attorney representing Audrey Jarvis, who was asked by a supervisor at a student orientation event on June 27 to remove or conceal her cross necklace to avoid offending would-be students.

After a brief investigation by university officials, President Ruben Armiñana sent a letter to Jarvis in late July reiterating his earlier apology for the incident.

SSU Student Audrey Jarvis

Audrey Jarvis wears a cross necklace much like the one she was asked to remove while working at Sonoma State University on Monday, July 8, 2013. Jarvis said a supervisor from a campus organization she was working for asked her to remove the necklace while representing the school. (CONNER JAY/ PD )Audrey Jarvis wears a cross necklace much like the one she was asked to remove while working at Sonoma State University on Monday, July 8, 2013. Jarvis said a supervisor from a campus organization she was working for asked her to remove the necklace while representing the school. (CONNER JAY/ PD )Audrey Jarvis wears a cross necklace much like the one she was asked to remove while working at Sonoma State University on Monday, July 8, 2013. Jarvis said a supervisor from a campus organization she was working for asked her to remove the necklace while representing the school. (CONNER JAY/ PD )Audrey Jarvis wears a cross necklace much like the one she was asked to remove while working at Sonoma State University on Monday, July 8, 2013. Jarvis said a supervisor from a campus organization she was working for asked her to remove the necklace while representing the school. (CONNER JAY/ PD )Audrey Jarvis wears a cross necklace much like the one she was asked to remove while working at Sonoma State University on Monday, July 8, 2013. Jarvis said a supervisor from a campus organization she was working for asked her to remove the necklace while representing the school. (CONNER JAY/ PD )
Hide/Show Description | View Thumbnails View Large Gallery
“This was a request made in error by one of our employees, was unacceptable, and was just wrong,” he wrote. “The employee did not speak for Sonoma State University in any way.”

The supervisor, identified by Sasser as Erik Dickson, executive director of Associated Students, the student government, will meet with Jarvis to apologize in person.

“That resolves this as far as we're concerned,” Sasser said.

Dickson did not return a call and email requesting comment.

Jarvis, 19, and Sasser met with university officials in early July. Officials apologized to her and confirmed that there is no university policy restricting what kind of clothing or jewelry students may wear on campus.

They also agreed to investigate the incident as a possible case of religious discrimination under Title IX, the portion of federal education law that bans such discrimination. The university's Title IX coordinator, Joyce Suzuki, said this week that she has concluded her investigation, but she declined to reveal her findings or say whether she recommended any discipline against Dickson.

Dickson is not employed directly by the university, but rather by Associated Students, which is an independent organization.

After the meeting in July, Jarvis said she was not sure whether she would return to Sonoma State for her junior year. In his letter, Armiñana expressed hope that she would decide to do so.
fxlnll

Re: Attorney for Sonoma State student asked to remove cross says

Postby da shaman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 am

[quote="fxlnll"]I love the hypocrisy of the left. What ever happened to freedom of religion? I am not a religious person but why would ANY normal person care if someone wore a cross?

agree 100% with you on this one, fxlnll. Too bad the student had to get a lawyer to represent her on this one.
da shaman

Postby StickeyWicket » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Curious, why do either of you think the "left" is being hypocritical here...do you know what Erik Dickson's political affiliation is or are you just generalizing?
StickeyWicket

Postby fxlnll » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:00 pm

StickeyWicket wrote:Curious, why do either of you think the "left" is being hypocritical here...do you know what Erik Dickson's political affiliation is or are you just generalizing?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: That made my day! I'm still laughing my a$$ off.
fxlnll

Postby StickeyWicket » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:46 pm

fxlnll wrote:
StickeyWicket wrote:Curious, why do either of you think the "left" is being hypocritical here...do you know what Erik Dickson's political affiliation is or are you just generalizing?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: That made my day! I'm still laughing my a$$ off.

As I suspected no "real/factual" answer to a very simple question, so I guess it was a generalization. No problem, not a surprise; you stay classy now.... :roll:
StickeyWicket

Postby ptlmafrnd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:37 pm

StickeyWicket wrote:
fxlnll wrote:

As I suspected no "real/factual" answer to a very simple question, so I guess it was a generalization. No problem, not a surprise; you stay classy now.... :roll:

+1
ptlmafrnd

Postby fxlnll » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:27 pm

StickeyWicket wrote:
fxlnll wrote:

You mean classy like a public employee trying to stifle the first amendment? Even if I gave facts about why he is left of center you wouldn't believe them. So why waste my time? But just got the shits and giggles when was the last time you saw a right leaning person tell someone to take off a cross? It's is funny that the left seems to be the biggest owner of the 1st amendment. Someone says something or wears something they don't like they call for a boycott. That is the reason. That good enough for you
fxlnll

Postby whippis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:23 am

I love pointing out the hypocrisy on both sides however the person who asked her to remove the cross didn't work for the University and is not a public employee.

Making assertions about someone's political beliefs and assumptions about how people may respond should you offer facts to support your assertions doesn't make you a hypocrite but it certainly makes plain your bias. That calls into question your credibility thus rendering your post(s) as silly as the non-issue which inspired them.
whippis

Postby StickeyWicket » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:52 am

whippis wrote:I love pointing out the hypocrisy on both sides however the person who asked her to remove the cross didn't work for the University and is not a public employee.

Making assertions about someone's political beliefs and assumptions about how people may respond should you offer facts to support your assertions doesn't make you a hypocrite but it certainly makes plain your bias. That calls into question your credibility thus rendering your post(s) as silly as the non-issue which inspired them.

could not have said it better myself and that's good enough for me.
StickeyWicket

Postby fxlnll » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:25 pm

whippis wrote:I love pointing out the hypocrisy on both sides however the person who asked her to remove the cross didn't work for the University and is not a public employee.
Where did I say this moron was a public employee?

I have no bias. I'm not religious a democrat or a republican. Actually I have a bias. It is what is right not who is right. Besides the only way this person would on the right side of the aisle would be if it was a pentagram not a cross.
fxlnll

Next

Return to In the news