Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

road diet

Discussions related to articles

Re: road diet

Postby walk2k » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:40 pm

I don't know what you mean "clearly marked bike lane" I don't think they added a bike lane on this section? If I remember correctly they were SUPPOSED to add a bike lane on the section north of Washington when they did the "road diet" there but apparently they forgot (??)

Obviously it could have been done better ANY other way than what they chose to do, which is 1 car lane, no bike lane, and a whopping huge "nothing" dead zone in the middle - I notice that delivery vehicles often park there but I don't think that's legal, yeah if a fire truck needs to get thru there GOOD LUCK..

Just like the Blvd. north of Wash. diet, what they SHOULD have done is remove parking along one side of the road - yes maybe even both sides on the narrowest section between Wash. and Western. Then they could have expanded BOTH lanes, maybe even put in a bike lane! no need for the center turn lane/DEAD ZONE lane. It would have been worth losing a few parking spaces to keep both lanes!

To be honest I avoided that section before, but it's super bad now. Really hope all the residents on 4th st/6th st and Kentucky/Keller like us cutting thru their neighborhoods now, but we have no choice!
walk2k

Postby Bear » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Homegrown petaluman wrote:BTW the middle is NOT a bike lane. Its for all the delivery trucks that don't want to use the access they already had at the rear of all the business on the boulevard. That is what the alley and water street were designed for.

have you ever tried to ride a bike or even walk on water street? sprained ankle or even worse on a bike. and the alley? those are dilapidated side roads certainly not meant for bikes. maybe a bumpy horse and carriage ride in their day.
Bear

Postby wafflecomet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm

walk2walk, what I meant was that there are clear bike arrows (they are called sharrows) in the middle of the single car lanes now. I feel this is safe - being legitimate in the middle of the lane makes me visible to other cars; they can't pass and they don't hassle me.

Before the road diet, there were two congested lanes with no bike markings; not great for bikes as they would feel obligated to ride in the "door zone" too close to the right edge, and often car traffic would aggressively try to pass on the left.

Bear, I ride across the cobbles every day - the bike bearings suffer. But there are worse streets; Payran by the new Luckys has bomb craters that really hurt. Some of the streets really are bad around here.
wafflecomet

Postby Laken2003 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Hey Abbott.. Who's on FIRST....
Two quotes from the October 17th 2013 "Now we have some hard data to look at, both before and after the road happened" said Glass... "Based on complaints that travel time downtown had increased by as much as 15 minutes, staff has been analyzing the time it takes to make it through downtown since the Road Diet was completed. According to City Engineer, Curt Bates, staff drove the boulevard several time a day on a dozen different occasions. The average time it took to make it from East Washington Street to D Street ranged from two to six minutes, depending on the time of day. THE CITY DID NOT TRACK HOW LONG IT TOOK TO TRAVEL THE SAME DISTANCE BEFORE THE CHANGES WERE IMPLEMENTED.
Sooooooo, the City spent a bunch of bucks and the Mayor says "We have Hard Data" Now but according to the City Engineer, No data was taken before the ROAD DIET.. I believe "Who" was out at First Base and didn't make it to Second........
Laken2003

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 am

I think I went downtown once after the road diet. i haven't been back.
mikeg55

Postby Therewolf » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:16 pm

mikeg55 wrote:I think I went downtown once after the road diet. i haven't been back.

Mike, I'd agree with you and stay away myself--as I'm sure a lot of people are already doing--but I just can't turn my back on the small shops and great restaurants in the downtown area. You can bet they're (a) locally-owned and (b) suffering because of this latest bad idea.

Here's what I do: Pull into the Golden Eagle Center parking lot--if the driveways aren't blocked by the never-ending construction on Washington. Do a little shopping at the Grocery Outlet or Dollar Tree, or have a meal at Dempsey's. Then instead of leaving right away, just walk across the footbridge. You're a five minute walk from anywhere in the heart of downtown.
Therewolf

Postby walk2k » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I still go downtown, I just avoid driving up the Blvd between 7am-7pm.

There's plenty of parking downtown, I never have trouble finding a spot. Usually there's spots in the Keller garage, even if you have to go all the way to the roof... Plus the new garage by the theater isn't too far. We're still lucky they haven't gone to parking meters here.
walk2k

Postby billyverde » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm

I find that it's mainly the Blvd. between Washington and B that's become nightmarish. But it's still easy enough to access the free parking at the Keller St. garage if you get on Washington coming from either the East, West or North. The Golden Eagle solution is a good one, too.
billyverde

Postby walk2k » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 am

New article today... http://www.petaluma360.com/article/2013 ... road-diet-

I guess I missed the "loading zone only" sign for that middle lane. But I'm pretty sure there isn't any... Currently it is marked with a double solid yellow line, that means NO traffic is allowed to cross that line for ANY reason (except if turning left, but there is nowhere to turn left). No passing, no parking, no loading, no nothing! Emergency vehicles are an exception, obviously.

If they really intend people to use that lane to pass parallel parkers, it needs to be re-marked with a broken (dashed) single yellow line, like you'd see down the center of a road where passing is allowed. That still doesn't allow parking of course, but allowing both makes no sense - either it's to be used for passing, OR parking, but it can't be used for both at the same time... (DUH)
walk2k

Postby Louise_07 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:23 am

nice post!
Louise_07

PreviousNext

Return to In the news