Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

County takes aim at sugary drinks

Discussions related to articles

Re: County takes aim at sugary drinks

Postby JP69 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am

Look at some of the Gatorades, energy drinks etc... Plus smoothies and such are bad to, unless just pure fruit and veggies!!
JP69

Postby SadPipal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Just pure fruits and veggies are OK? While you may be semi correct, a 16oz pure one is still full of calories, sugar (it's a natural thing in fruit), and acids that will destroy your teeth. Don't believe me? Marinate meat in fruit juice, particularly pineapple. It will become soft and tasty. Your gums will too.

So enjoy in moderation and no more nanny state edicts.

I'm hoping they come up with a mandatory drought warning sticker for our toilets to discourage flushing. That would be fun. Also only turn on the bathroom water at city hall for 20mins a day. Bring your own container in the meantime...
SadPipal

Postby walk2k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Naturally occurring sugar in fruits and veggies is much easier for your body to digest than refined sugar, and especially HFCS (corn sugar) which they put in everything. Plus there is MUCH less of it, about 12g in one orange, or 19g in an apple for example, vs 30-40 in a can of soda.
walk2k

Postby SadPipal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 pm

My point being everything in moderation. Make a 16oz smoothly and you far exceed the contents of a soda so just don't overdo it and assume 'natural' equates to guilt free. It's also junk science to say it's harder to digest etc. What does that expression even mean in quantifiable terms? We digest what we can and excrete what we can't, everything ending up converted to a form of sugar the body uses no matter how it starts. Think of lettuce - there's something hard to digest as we can't convert cellulose well but it provides necessary roughage. Eat in moderation, make decent choices for balance, and the county needs to keep out of it.
SadPipal

Postby SadPipal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 pm

By the way, there is nothing non naturally occurring about HFCS. The FDA, unless you consider there to be a conspiracy of some kind, qualify it as natural, just like concentrated fruit juice. Here's how it's made.

http://www.cornnaturally.com/img/charts/how-made.png

But don't use too much. Moderation.
SadPipal

Postby walk2k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:04 pm

The difference is fructose can only be metabolized (digested) by the specialized liver cells. Glucose, the other component of sugar, can be metabolized by every cell in your body, and even your bacterial colony. Every living cell on the planet uses glucose for energy. Consuming large quantities of fructose places extreme stress on the liver and contributes to obesity and diabetes.

Read about it.
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/dec ... rup_01.htm
walk2k

Postby SadPipal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 pm

walk2k wrote:The difference is fructose can only be metabolized (digested) by the specialized liver cells. Glucose, the other component of sugar, can be metabolized by every cell in your body, and even your bacterial colony. Every living cell on the planet uses glucose for energy. Consuming large quantities of fructose places extreme stress on the liver and contributes to obesity and diabetes.

Read about it.
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/dec ... rup_01.htm

Not a great quote. LEF sells various non-FDA approved supplements with some pretty outrageous claims. Best to take any article from them with a serious, for-profit, grain of salt.

Well, I'm quite aware of the chemistry involved here. Fructose is the natural sweet taste to fruit (which I'm sure we agree should be eaten). Glucose is a derivative that is less sweet hence the blending in HFCS, but both are all natural. What you're talking about is some people suffer from a disease that causes problems with them metabolizing fructose to glucose in the liver. The main side effect of too much fructose, like any other sugar, is obesity and then the related diseases. Fructose does no damage to the human body as such or every fruit or tomato we eat would be poisonous. Still, I get what you're driving at, and the bottom line, whatever science you like to believe, is that moderation is the key to everything.

Sucrose breaks down to glucose and fructose (so you get to deal with it whether you use HFCS or not, just by eating) which can indeed only be converted by the liver. The real problem is the liver can only store about 400 calories of glucose reserves, anything more goes off to be stored as fat. It thus makes sense to limit this but the process in itself is the way the body works. In times of need, glucose reserves are drawn from fat first, then the liver etc as a last resort. If you're sedentary and eating to much you get fat and unhealthy but that's no secret.

Best to leave the fringe science where it belongs but if that's what gets you to the message of moderation, then who am I to argue with the correct approach.
SadPipal

Postby walk2k » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am

I looked at a bunch of articles, that one was a little inflammatory yes (Americans are being poisoned!) but had some good info on the chemistry I think. There are many others that back up the claim that HFCS contributes to liver disease and diabetes.

There are of course corn-sugar industry web sites with their own "studies" that can be wildly inaccurate, as well.
walk2k

Postby BayNative » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:28 am

The president is a smoker. Enough said.
BayNative

Postby SheThinks » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 am

I agree that most people of average intelligence already know what is good for them to eat and what is bad. There are enough books to fill a library about why we choose to eat badly. The one place I think we should step in is the primary schools, educate the children on this subject.
As to health care for those who make bad choices: are you the one who is going to stand at the doors of our emergency rooms and tell someone that it looks like they made bad choices, and they can't come in? The hospitals have been eating the costs of these uninsured people for decades. Maybe now with the Affordable Health Care Act they might get at least some reimbursement for some of those people.
And put a face on it. Would you stand face to face with your fellow American and tell them tough luck that they have a health issue?
I think America is better than that.
SheThinks

PreviousNext

Return to In the news