Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

New Left turn arrows

Discussions related to articles

New Left turn arrows

Postby fxlnll » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 am

Just great, I guess Petaluma will sink to the lowest common denominator with drivers. The very stupid ones. According to the article in the paper they will be turning a lot more intersections into left turn only green lights. Can Petaluma think of anymore ways to create more traffic :roll: There is no info if they will be combined green arrow and then turn when it is safe like they ALL should be. There was an article a year or so ago that would have had flashing yellow lights at turn left when it is safe intersections. As dumb as that is at least it won't slow traffic like the left turn arrows.
fxlnll

Re: New Left turn arrows

Postby mikeg55 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am

fxlnll wrote:Just great, I guess Petaluma will sink to the lowest common denominator with drivers. The very stupid ones. According to the article in the paper they will be turning a lot more intersections into left turn only green lights. Can Petaluma think of anymore ways to create more traffic :roll: There is no info if they will be combined green arrow and then turn when it is safe like they ALL should be. There was an article a year or so ago that would have had flashing yellow lights at turn left when it is safe intersections. As dumb as that is at least it won't slow traffic like the left turn arrows.

Don't agree. I love left turn arrows. Hate being caught in the intersection and cross traffic tries to smash into me. I'll actually travel to intersecton that has one if i can. Unfortunately people don't know how to drive and this will make things much safer.
mikeg55

Postby fxlnll » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 pm

mikeg55 wrote:Don't agree. I love left turn arrows. Hate being caught in the intersection and cross traffic tries to smash into me. I'll actually travel to intersecton that has one if i can. Unfortunately people don't know how to drive and this will make things much safer.

Maybe those people shouldn't be driving. It is a HUGE pain in the ass, sitting there with ZERO oncoming traffic and no one being able to turn. A great rant about these silly left turn arrows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6mF_S9sgA#t=26
fxlnll

Postby TJMack » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 am

RANT: Whose idea was it to get rid of the green turn arrow at East Madison and McDowell? (The one leading in and out of the shopping center/towards East Madison).

Now as you leave the shopping center to turn left onto McDowell, you have to yield. If there is a lot of oncoming traffic, you miss getting out completely. Before, at least six or seven cars could exit the shopping center.....now you might have to sit through a few red lights to get out. Not good!
TJMack

Postby fxlnll » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:54 am

TJMack wrote:RANT: Whose idea was it to get rid of the green turn arrow at East Madison and McDowell? (The one leading in and out of the shopping center/towards East Madison).

Now as you leave the shopping center to turn left onto McDowell, you have to yield. If there is a lot of oncoming traffic, you miss getting out completely. Before, at least six or seven cars could exit the shopping center.....now you might have to sit through a few red lights to get out. Not good!

I love it. I don't have to sit at a red arrow when there are no cars coming towards me. What a concept. They should all be this way. Every left turn light should be abolished if it is only a green left turn. If it turns green at some point where I can turn left when it is safe that's ok. These new flashing yellow left turns are nice but money wasted. If you are to dumb to know when to turn then you should not be driving.
fxlnll

Postby petalumanick » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Sadly, left turn arrows are a necessary evil in Petaluma. It's not a matter of being "too dumb to know when it's safe to make a left turn", it's a matter of the OTHER drivers being too dumb to stay out of the intersection on a stale green light. Try making a left turn downtown from D street onto the Blvd at midday. It's impossible.....even WITH a green left turn arrow. Why? Because there are too many idiots who will cram the intersection because rather than wait for the next green light, they will make a turn they can't possibly finish and leave their ass-end sticking out in the intersection and will block cross traffic from making a turn. And then the driver BEHIND the first idiot will do the same thing! The cycle is endless and I see it every time. A left turn arrow doesn't solve the low IQ problem, but at least it gives some of us a fighting chance. So don't blame the left turners or the left turn light. Blame the drivers who lack the ability to anticipate the flow of traffic in their own lane.
petalumanick

Return to In the news