Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

Can 'journalists' actually write now?

Discussions related to articles

Re: Can 'journalists' actually write now?

Postby SadPipal » Thu May 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Agreed. Surely journalists should possess a greater level of skill than us laypeople if they want to be taken seriously. Practically every article the Argus or PD writes (the agency stuff is better it seems) is riddled with errors, many that actually change the meaning. It's pretty tragic that we are forced to read such 8th grade material by career professionals and their editors can't spot the obvious. Sad.
SadPipal

Postby whippis » Fri May 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Thank you. To make the sentence clear the word "posthumous" is better used as an adjective describing the medal itself not as an adverb describing how it was awarded given where they choose to place the subject. There are a hundred ways to rewrite that sentence (or better yet make it two sentences). They tried to cram too many facts into one sentence and it comes out garbled. This is what editors are supposed to fix.
whippis

Postby Bagger » Fri May 23, 2014 2:30 pm

This is slightly off topic but the local Police are pretty bad at basic English too.
I cringe when I hear them say "MYSELF and my partner" or "please log MYSELF in".

I think we have become lax by accepting sloppy English from people in the communication fields such as reporters,journalists and public officials.Ignoring it makes it worse.

I appreciate you all standing up and criticizing sloppy writing.

Maybe they will read this and start trying to sound a little more professional.
Bagger

Postby whippis » Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 pm

I would like to never again hear someone say "these ones" Unless you are pointing to a pile of $1 bills that is not correct.
whippis

Previous

Return to In the news