Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Homeless Problems..

Discussions related to articles

Re: Homeless Problems..

Postby SadPipal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 am

I don't think anyone is advocating that the state of homelessness in itself be considered grounds for discrimination. It is merely that we should expect the basic behavior of anyone to conform to the expectations of normal society. It is unacceptable that the behavior of a few renders our parks, libraries, and other facilities, effectively inaccessible to the rest of us through the acceptance of the antisocial behaviors that are so obvious, as well as tie up our already stretched police department dealing with it. We should not accept that as the new norm - to do so is unacceptable. That is the crux of it. Let us help those we can but not enable those troublemakers who are incorrigible and can make life unpleasant in our otherwise fair town.
SadPipal

Postby Longonptown » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:11 pm

The police won't win on that one. They are who we have to rely on, but I am sure some think they should be tending to more important issues. This is and will continue to be a difficult problem to remedy. I commend Petaluma for what they do, but believe it has become an attractant for many. I often wonder how many other communities provide "bus fare" to Petaluma!
Longonptown

Postby SadPipal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:34 pm

I regret to say you're correct. With the well intentioned improvements to homeless services, Petaluma has become an attractive place for an undesirable segment and I'm sure we attract people from all around as services are extensive. This leads to them being overwhelmed, generating need for more services, and increasing the overspill into our public areas to the point we they become off limits to those who do not want to be constantly assailed or do not want to deal with the antisocial behavior. I don't feel guilt about having this opinion as it's quality of life for the majority and nor do I think it fair that folk who stand up tend to be demonized for not wanting the drugged/drunk/criminal types around. It's also not fair to say we should accept this and not fear these people - many are career offenders with violent pasts, mentally very unstable, and aggressive panhandlers. I wish we could do everything possible for those that we truly can help, especially the mentally ill, and for that matter help those that will accept it into rehab, but the percentage of lifestylers spoil it for every one.
SadPipal

Postby fxlnll » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:31 pm

walk2k wrote:^If you really need it explained to you, you're even dumber than you seem.
But I'm guessing you're just trolling. :roll:

Wow, that hurt. And you think of yourself as enlightened. What an ass. It is impossible for you to be dumber then you seem. but what else do you expect from an elitist. You only believe in free speech when the speech agrees with your demented views
fxlnll

Postby Drake94954 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Here's the latest homeless issue I've run into this week. While parking in front of the old Safeway to go to the Hallmark Store I see this homeless guy standing in front of the old Safeway front door urinating in plain sight. After coming out of the store I noticed that behind the small 4 foot brick wall fronting the old Safeway where the shopping carts use to be kept, there were 4 or 5 of them with there cell phones plugged into Safeway's old electrical outlet. Makes for a great little camping area for them.

The more we look the other way the worse it's going to get.
Last edited by Drake94954 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drake94954

Postby TJMack » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 am

I just sent an email to Fulcrum Property Management in Sacramento. They need to be aware of this. I assume they are paying the electric bill for the old Safeway.

But, on the other hand, I guess they don't care. They seem to prefer keeping that old building empty.
TJMack

Postby Drake94954 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 am

I think by now all the homeless in the area know about this free electrical service, it's easier than going to the library and they can hide behind the wall.
Drake94954

Postby fxlnll » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 pm

TJMack wrote:I just sent an email to Fulcrum Property Management in Sacramento. They need to be aware of this. I assume they are paying the electric bill for the old Safeway.

But, on the other hand, I guess they don't care. They seem to prefer keeping that old building empty.

walk by a light post. the have receptacles at the bottom of most of them in that lot
fxlnll

Postby TJMack » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:13 am

Drake94954, I actually received this reply to my email to Fulcrum Properties:

>>Dear Sir or Madam:
I just want to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. It is not acceptable and will be addressed immediately with our security firm and with Safeway, who holds the lease on the vacant store site and is responsible for policing their premises.
If this or other issues occur in the future, please feel free to contact us direct at the number below. It is a great benefit to have neighbors like you help us keep an eye on issues at the property.
Thank you very much,
Mark Friedman, President
Fulcrum
1530 J Street, Suite 200
Sacramento CA 95814
916-244-8586
<<<

So, it looks like Safeway is responsible for giving away free electricity. Just another reason to raise their grocery prices. I don't shop there, but I guess you could bring up this matter to the store manager.
TJMack

Postby fxlnll » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm

TJMack wrote:
So, it looks like Safeway is responsible for giving away free electricity. Just another reason to raise their grocery prices. I don't shop there, but I guess you could bring up this matter to the store manager.

If you don't shop how would you know what their prices are? Oh right Petaluma market and whole paycheck er foods are so cheap
fxlnll

PreviousNext

Return to In the news