Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Development of Scott Property D street and Windsor

From swirling rumors to big announcements to just plain juicy gossip ... what's in the air in Petaluma?

Development of Scott Property D street and Windsor

Postby Freebe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Breaking News:
Davidon Development is scheduled on the Planning Department for March 12.
This Developer first proposed building 93 homes in 2004 but didn't pursue their application for many reasons. They are now jumping on the opportunity some 9 years later. They are proposing again up to 93 homes on the corner of D street and Windsor and are wanting to be recognized under the old general plan and not the new plan. Under the New General Plan there are many more safeguards to smart developmnent and protection of community resources. This developer held several "public" meetings over the last 4 months trying to "sell" the idea of a smaller develpment of 66 homes; preserving the Red Barns; providing public access to HPP with parking and rest facilities and preservation of natural habitats. Now it appears they are changing their tune.
The new EIR is scheduled to be published and available for public viewing on February 14th! Contact the Planning Department to view this document.
If you care about what happens to this beautiful area in our community-please attend all meetings and discussions concerning the new EIR
Freebe

Re: Development of Scott Property D street and Windsor

Postby PetalumaGal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 am

I do hope they live up to their prior promises, and I would be sorry to see development there, but I live nearby just off of D Street, and the traffic is so heavy that it already nearly sounds as if I live next to a highway. The area is already ruined soundwise.
PetalumaGal

Postby Freebe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 am

PetRP@comcast.net

February 13, 2013
Update on Davidon Development

You are receiving this e-mail because of your interest in the Davidon luxury home development on 58 acres at D Street and Windsor, right next to Helen Putnam County Regional Park and Petaluma’s urban growth boundary. It is the old Scott Ranch with the red barn on Kelly Creek.

News from Wednesday, February 13
People who live within 500 feet of the proposed Davidon development received a notice about the Draft Environmental Impact Report on the Davidon subdivision in the mail today. A copy of this notice is on our Web page: go towww.PetRP.org and click on the link on the left side: "Davidon Draft EIR Febr 2013.”

The Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) for the Davidon development will be released on Thursday, February 14. The comment period will be for 45 days and will end on Monday, April 1, 2013
We asked for an extension for a 60-day review period. We were denied this request.
Davidon is asking the City to review its application using the OLD General Plan (1987-2005) and not the current General Plan 2025, which was adopted in 2008 and has specific safeguards for the environmental qualities of this location on Kelly Creek.
Davidon's application indicates 93 homes.
Davidon will be making a presentation to the Planning Commission on Tuesday, March 12, at 7 p.m. at the City Council Chambers, 11 English Street.

Project Description
The project is the same that many of us saw in 2004: 93 homes, 6-foot high sound wall on D Street, etc.

For the last several months, Jeff Thayer of Davidon has been presenting a project of 66 homes to various community meetings. For details about Davidon's presentation, go towww.PetRP.org and click on the link on the left side: "Davidon Presentation to Victoria on November 28, 2012."

What are the opinions of Petalumans for Responsible Planning?
We are outraged that a Walnut Creek developer can come into Petaluma and build homes using an antiquated, outdated general plan! We now surmise that Davidon had its lawyers research this issue when the General Plan 2025 was adopted by the city in 2008 so that it could take the most aggressive position.

General Plan 2025 was started in 2001 with numerous public meetings and input from Petaluma citizens. Petaluma was very different in 1987 when the old General Plan was approved. Our population was about 40,000. The Theater District was a used car lot; the outlet mall, Auto Plaza, and Kohl's shopping center were fields; SRJC's Petaluma Campus was in portable buildings on the Fairgrounds.

The 2025 General Plan was based on the following six key issues that emerged as it was developed:
1. Economic health
2. Infill/residential growth projection
3. Water resources
4. Mobility
5. Public facilities and parks
6. Sustainability (traffic, floods, water)

How can this project be reviewed wisely under the old General Plan? How many City staff members are actually conversant with the old General Plan? There have been many changes and advances in preservation and development in the last 10 years. We must make sure current, up-to-date rules and regulations apply with development.

What is in the General Plan 2025 that Davidon is trying to avoid?
Preserve the uniqueness of the property at the intersection of ‘D’ Street and Windsor Drive (Scott Ranch) through incorporation of the following criteria in future development review processes:

Respect the Gateway value with a minimum 100’ setback from ‘D’ Street, with no soundwalls.
Maintain a minimum of a 100’ setback along Kelly Creek and its tributaries.
Preserve the red barns, in place; designate them historic, and encourage the incorporation of a nature study area.
Preserve and maintain habitat areas and trees.
Avoid slide areas and minimize grading.
Provide a minimum 300’ wide Urban Separator.
Provide a minimum of a 3-acre park site.
Include the provision of trailhead facilities with restrooms and parking, with a connection to Putnam Regional Park.
Respect City hillside regulations.

What are the next steps for the PetRP Steering Committee?
We will get copies of the draft EIR and the 1987-2005 General Plan. We will review those documents along with the 2025 General Plan. We will develop a plan of action. For sure, we will be submitting written comments on the DEIR by April 1 and encouraging everyone to do the same.

If any of you have expertise and can help us, please let us know by e-mailing PetRP@comcast.

We will be e-mailing you frequently during the next 45 days.

Plan to attend the Planning Commission Meeting
Please plan to attend Planning Commission meeting on Tuesday, March 12, at 7 p.m. at the City Council Chambers, 11 English St. That is the time when the public can voice their opinions and concerns. That is the time when we, the people, who live in this community, can explain how this development can and will affect our quality of lives. It is critical that our questions and concerns be addressed.

Steering Committee for Petalumans for Responsible Planning
Greg Colvin, Chris Cort, Sherri Fabre-Marcia, Joe Grubaugh, Susan Jaderstrom, Chey Moore, Sigrun Seifert,

Forward to a friend
Our mailing address is:
69 Oxford Court
Petaluma, CA 94952
707-762-5166

http://www.PetRP.org
PetRP@comcast.net
Freebe

Postby ptlmafrnd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Freebe, just curious, where is your home? when was it built? what type of property was your home on before it was built? would you be happy or satisfied if davidon built a very similar subdivision to the one that you live in?
ptlmafrnd

Postby Freebe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:45 am

I received the "Notice of Completion/Availability of DEIR for Davidon Subdivision last week-so I live very close to this proposed PUD.
I have followed this story for the last 10 years. I have gone to city hall and read the leather-bound books chronicling the city council and planning department meetings and have read newspaper clippings covering the lawsuits brought by members of the community against the building of Victoria. I have gone to the Petaluma Historical Museum and read about this communities' history and about the Scott Ranch. I have talked to people who remember how beautiful this valley WAS before the near complete build-out. So, after doing a little background research I get the history of this area and have come to a few conclusions.
Victoria should never have been built and this beautiful Valley should have been left alone, but sadly it wasn't.
Davidon's representative Jeff Thayer and Brian Sobel have spoken at several meetings with private groups and community groups saying that their new proposal will include less homes-66 is their "magic"number and their homes will stay away from the stock pond and all land West of this. They will leave the Red Barn intact; they will provide a new entrance to HPP including parking for 40 cars; rest rooms and a picnic area etc. But of course their application now to the city is their OLD proposal and so what are they selling?
Unfortunately the DEIR isn't available on-line as the city promised-the file is "corrupted". So I believe the public should be granted a 60 day period to review these documents. I also believe it is the public and our community that should help drive this proposal, either no homes or at least much less development and limit the "fall-out" to the community such as more horrible traffic on D Street; less water run-off downstream and protect our UGB as under the new General Plan and not the old which Davidon is demanding.
Freebe

Postby PetalumaGal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am

The traffic issue on D Street is a lost cause. By direct observation I can tell you that it is a major route for big rigs hauling farm supplies, but also for daring commuters heading for Marin county and trying to avoid the freeway. On weekends it is everyone going to the coast, bicyclers, and motorcyclists. Nothing to be done about it. Sorry it has become a countrified freeway.
PetalumaGal

Postby ptlmafrnd » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Freebe wrote:I live very close to this proposed PUD.

by "very close" do you mean you live in victoria?
ptlmafrnd

Postby Bear » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 am

Freebe wrote:Steering Committee for Petalumans for Responsible Planning
Greg Colvin, Chris Cort, Sherri Fabre-Marcia, Joe Grubaugh, Susan Jaderstrom, Chey Moore, Sigrun Seifert,

Forward to a friend
Our mailing address is:
69 Oxford Court
Petaluma, CA 94952
707-762-5166t

sounds like the same group of people on oxford court that wanted to close our public street to people who parked and hiked putnam.
Bear

Return to The Buzz