Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Petaluma Police

Got something to say on your local government? This is the place.

Re: Petaluma Police

Postby Sushi tekka » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm

In my opinon Petaluma is a safe place to live. When Petaluma sleeps during the night our Police do their job of policing. Law seems enforced in Petaluma which consequently you can go to sleep after you make ignorant forum threads/posts without stress on your computer because Petaluma Police keep US safe. Support our Police because they support us. I am not a Police officer, CHP or etc. I just understand the importance of our boys in blue and if they have the police car somewhere that you do not approve of then perhaps you should go join the Police academy, decades later get a promotion then from there you can assign the police patrol beats. I am sure they are where you see them because they know how to do the job.

On a light note the build quality of a Corvette is a joke. :ugeek:
Sushi tekka

Postby Greyvet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Dear Sushi, What are you talking about. Any police department is the fire department of crime. They respond to crime for the most part, they don't prevent it. The reason why Petaluma is 'safe' is because of the people of Petaluma. How can a simple question be ignorant? Why shouldn't we ask why our scarce police resources can be found 5 miles outside the city limits. And I said I saw this once but in fact since them I have seen it numerous times. Additionally today I saw them (suv, and motorcycle cop) on the Petaluma Blvd North offramp and two police cars just north of the Redwood Highway on ramp on 101 doing traffic stops.
Oh and by the way, the police aren't an entity all by themselves they are employees of the city of Petaluma. Their budget accounts for a large portion of the cities budget. They are accountable to the people of the city.
Greyvet

Postby da shaman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey Greyvet, if you are so interested why the officers are making stops north and south of the city, why don't you call PPD and ask to speak with the duty sergeant and express your concerns. I'm sure you will get a reasonable answer. Sometimes the execution of their duties take them beyond the boundaries of Petaluma. If that is what is necessary then I guess it is okay for them to do so.

Maybe you can see if they have ride-alongs. Too bad the Citizens Police Academy no longer exists. It was a real eye opener for a lot of folks.
da shaman

Postby bertzlee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:20 am

Maybe you can see if they have ride-alongs. Too bad the Citizens Police Academy no longer exists. It was a real eye opener for a lot of folks.
All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
Max Beerbohm's fantasy weapon
bertzlee

Postby Petaloco » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm

The truth is that Petaluma PD is just one agency that is involved in a county wide drug trafficking operation where they are identifying and busting vehicles coming up from the south (with the $) and vehicles coming back from the north (with the product). Usually the Police vehicle you see there will be a K-9 with drug sniffing capabilities. And if you are now paying attention, you'll see that it's not always a Petaluma cop. Sometimes a Santa Rosa cop, ext... And this program funds itself with the money it confiscates.
Petaloco

Postby The Watcher » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Well Petaloco, some questions if I may:

Funds itself with money it confiscates? Really? Before or after the trial? Who's doing the accounting on those "confiscated funds" and how do they show up in the budget?

Remember the guy who got popped a few years ago with $20K in his car? And another $250K in one of his pot houses? Guess they're funding themselves so what do they need tax dollars for?

And what does CHP do for a living? Isn't the "highway" their deal? Oh that's right, they patrol the city streets.

And how does the dog sniff suspect vehicles going 70mph? Cuz ya gotta have a reason to pull them over right? Not because your car looked like a potential drug-trafficker? And there is no law against driving around with a lot of money.

And I don't see how you could see a license plate from where they park either.

Oh and your right, it could be any agency. I turned around once when a Sonoma County Sheriff was parked there. Nice game of solitaire going on.

I'd believe the redevelopment line more. Easy way to make OT. Kinda like checkpoints.
The Watcher

Postby Petaloco » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Wow! Why so angry? I'm just relaying a conversation I've had just recently with a police friend of mine. But I could probably answer most of your questions based on common sense. I would guess that the moneys confiscated probably first go into evidence to support the case then only after the suspect is found guilty, then the money is collected to fund the operation. I don't think there is enough funds to support the whole police department, so I'm sorry, your taxes will still have to be collected for now.

Just like most careers, I'm sure there is special training that goes on, like how to spot a drug trafficking vehicle. Again just guessing, but maybe the vehicle is very dusty, like it has been driving a long way, or has been driving on a dusty dirt road, like to a pot farm. Maybe after running the plates, the officer finds that it is a rental vehicle from down south. Through their special training, they have learned that this is a common practice. Maybe after they pull the car over and perform a common practice that all police officers have special training in called "investigation", they find the suspects story doesn't make sense. For example, the suspect says that he's on his way to visit his family up in Ookiah, but didn't bring any luggage and has fast food and candy wrappers all over the front seat. Oh, and the cop happens to have a dog that can find what the cop already knows that's in the car.

But I'm no expert. Just using a little common sense. Instead of just getting angry and suspecting the police are up to no good (solitaire), just educate yourself. And please don't shoot your messenger.
Petaloco

Postby The Watcher » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Petaloco,

Not angry. Sorry if that came off as that. And yes I did see the guy playing solitaire. I know, I've played many times myself (red queen on the black king!).

I just have a difficult time thinking these guys are doing drug duty parked 100 feet from the street.

As for the police in general, yeah I do question some of the things they do and the financial ramifications for taxpayers. Same with Fire Dept, City Manager, Parks & Rec, etc.

So no, not angry, just a taxpayer tired of over-paying. And then being asked to vote for another tax.
The Watcher

Postby SP1200 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm

The Watcher:

>"Funds itself with money it confiscates? Really? Before or after the trial? Who's doing >the accounting on those "confiscated funds" and how do they show up in the budget?"

I'm not sure of that ether. However the money is going to law enforcement.
Petuluma is also on the the bay areas best police training centers.

>"And how does the dog sniff suspect vehicles going 70mph? Cuz ya gotta have a >reason to pull them over right? Not because your car looked like a potential drug->trafficker? And there is no law against driving around with a lot of money."

I'd like to address this as best as i can. And please do not take my input as argumentative, I'm not here to argue, just try my best to shine a spotlight on the issue.

I work as a legal aid for a law firm, and upon reviewing the multiple MJ cases from this area I have discovered the fallowing.

Many vehicles are stopped with out PC (probable cause) before hand, and simply do to the registration of the vehicle being: (#1) rental car, (#2) registered to a Southern California address, (areas of suspected drug trafficking, Los Angeles being the big one) and (#3) The registration of the vehicle belonging to anyone with a drug conviction, including misdemeanor for MJ possession.

Case load shows that these vehicles are prime suspects for money and MJ confiscation, and stopping these vehicles is beneficial for local law enforcement.

Although it is LAW that a Peace Officer must have (before hand) the proper PC to stop a vehicle, it is not necessary for confiscation of money, and contraband. Usually a PO can create or determine the PC after the suspect vehicle and contraband has been detained. Often the PC sited by the officer after the fact is "license plate light not operable" which is never really verifiable. And even if anyone can show that the light worked after the stop, it can not be proved that the light was operable AT THE TIME of the traffic stop. A faulty bulb, or interment short circuit connection can be argued.

And in most cases (at least 98%) the suspect doesn't take the case all the way to a trail nor even a franks hearing to treverse the search warrant. Most often all these cases of suspect(s) being caught red handed ends with a plea bargain for probation or lesser charge. The case hardly ever makes it to trail.

In fact the Press Democrat wrote an article earlier this year outlining the increasing number of cases of this scenario. Is this a hidden policy of misconduct? That question has never been answered, as the results have been very successful in confiscation of contraband.

> "And there is no law against driving around with a lot of money."

Although this is true...there is a policy that anyone caring cash in the amount of 500 dollars and over can have the funds confiscated do to the suspension of "attempt to purchase narcotics" which is an actual penal code violation. At that point the suspect can appear in front of a judge to explain the large sum of cash, and the suspects criminal record can be used against them in the confiscation of said cash regardless if charges are actually filed.

So yes, you can be stopped for no real reason, and yes your cash can be taken with out ever getting it back...or having to hire legal representation to obtain cash.

We had a case a while back of a man (from LA) who said he came up to buy a boat with 35k, but unfortunate do to his criminal record we were not able to get his cash back for him as the seller of the boat did not want to come to court. Very sad, but it does happen.

Truth: There is discrimination by law enforcement in this area. However it is also very effective.

Hope this helps to shed some light and answer some questions.
SP1200

Postby Real time » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 pm

So Watcher what were you doing when Dave Sears was fired?
Real time

PreviousNext

Return to Petaluma politics