Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Why NOT to vote for Tiffany Renee! Post Here...

Got something to say on your local government? This is the place.

Re: Why NOT to vote for Tiffany Renee! Post Here...

Postby billyverde » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:51 pm

I wonder if now Petaluma will finally get around to letting a Wal-Mart be built here.
billyverde

Postby Chris Weber » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 am

Just what we need--another place to buy plastic garbage from China. Wal-Mart would nicely complement our 10+ grocery stores.
Chris Weber

Postby mikeg55 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 am

Chris Weber wrote:Just what we need--another place to buy plastic garbage from China. Wal-Mart would nicely complement our 10+ grocery stores.

why do you have such an issue with 10+ grocery stores? If they are all doing well, then the public's food shopping needs are being met. If there are too many grocery stores, the underperformers will go out of business.
mikeg55

Postby Chris Weber » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am

It's pretty obvious that the grocery stores are not all doing well just by the number of people you see in the stores at what would otherwise be peak hours.

Stores closing means unemployment and vacant buildings again.

Grocery stores work on such thin margins, there is only so much they can do. Companies like Wal-mart are in a position to undercut their competition and put it out of business. They have done so all over the country for years and continue in these practices.
Chris Weber

Postby mikeg55 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:54 am

Safeway always seems busy to me. But maybe it's just when I shop on the weekends.
mikeg55

Postby Edgybob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 pm

If Wal Mart is the most efficient vehicle for the delivery of groceries then they SHOULD put food only stores out of business. (I'm not agreeing with your assumption that they are)

Why are we so wed to potentially old and inefficient means of distribution? If enough people "want" the old notion of going to a local store and buying products and chatting with the clerk whom youve known for ages then fine, they will pay enough to reward that business model. Others might only care about low cost. Economics should drive that evolution not little city councils...

Personally, I will pay more on some items for that "home spun" type tranaction, but I dont reject the other business model as in some way "evil" because it puts folks out of business. Its a choice and if not enough folks chose to support other less efficient forms of distribution (because they have failed to suffiencently differentiate their appeal) then it is what it is and the old way should stop - not be articillaly supported by a local junta in the name of "preserving a way of life". Are MP3's "evil" because they killed the CD or the LP before that? Should we ban them in Petaluma because we liked the old record store guy?

Protecting outdated ideas that have no economic logic or relevance is NOT the same as preserving a way of life in Petaluma that we appreciate.

sorry for rant and any spelling issues
Edgybob

Postby Chris Weber » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 pm

I would strongly encourage you to read some of the many books (from many different perspectives) that have been published on Wal-mart business practices. Also look at the various employment-related lawsuits that have been successfully brought against Wal-mart, esp. on behalf of women.

You talk about "economic logic." I fail to see any logic in replacing living wage jobs with low paying part time jobs. Ultimately, the community pays.

We don't need more part-time minimum wage jobs. We need living wage jobs that provide benefits and allow families to get ahead, buy houses and send their children to college
Chris Weber

Postby Edgybob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:01 pm

1) Its condensending to suggest that I disagree with you because I am uninformed. I am not.

2) if in such a small area as ours if the wages offered are too low then they will either close the store because they cant get the help OR raise the wages until they can. WE (the people, the masses, the proletariat) get to decide that not some little junta. SLavery is illegal. If the wage is too low dont take the job. If enough folks take the job, then I'm sorry you feel the job is worth more, but its not.

3) If you need more wage get more marketable skills, dont rely on the town junta to vote you a living....thats not sustainable. When did every job come with a requirement that it be a living wage? you need to make 100 grand to buy a home around here. Maybe more. Some jobs just arent worth that.

BTW, I dont even like Wal Marts, but I like economic choices. I'll bet you and I even like the same things about this town. I have faith that even with a walmart enough folks like me will still chose to frequent the local shops. I dont think the junta or anyone else for that matter should legislate my options.

sorry for the spelling etc.
Edgybob

Postby Chris Weber » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 pm

If you think the statements that I made about Wal-mart's impact on communities are my assumptions, then you are uninformed. This is an issue that has garnered national attention for a long time. If that is condescending, I apologize. That is not my intention at all.

If the town has no responsibility for bringing in jobs, why do we care if there is a pro-business majority on the city council? You're saying it's not their job so who cares what they are doing?

Have you ever lived some place where the job base disappeared because a major employer shut down? The effect is like dominoes. And crime, domestic violence, suicide--you name it--all goes through the roof.

All of the things that we like about our community depend on a healthy economy and that includes the job market.
Chris Weber

Postby LongTimePetalumad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Ding Dong the witch is dead...... :lol:
Do you think that Barrett and Glass should be looking over their shoulders???? I say yes!!!
LongTimePetalumad

Previous

Return to Petaluma politics