Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

How many Petalumans does it take to change a light bulb?

Got something to say on your local government? This is the place.

How many Petalumans does it take to change a light bulb?

Postby greenjeans » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 am

According today's article in the Argus [Janelle Wetzstein/City: Let there be light.] we have hired a second 'streetlight technian' to change light bulbs. This individual is getting paid, as per the article, $80K-100K a year!
:roll:
greenjeans

Re: How many Petalumans does it take to change a light bulb?

Postby 2182 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

I have a one word answer for you: Unions

Postby North Bay » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:51 am

Greenjeans, I can actually understand why their pay is between $80-100K per year. Do you want to risk your life up in a bucket truck working on unfused 480volts?
North Bay

Postby North Bay » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am

2182, It is not about unions in this case. It has to do with the hazard of the job.
North Bay

Postby mikeg55 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:23 pm

No commute, no cubicle, changing lightbulbs, . . . where do I sign up???
mikeg55

Postby greenjeans » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm

@ Northbay.........In answer to your question no. I'm a 62 yr. old gent, and past my prime. I suspect that there are an abundance of unemployed 30/40 even 50 yr. old individuals that would be ecstatic to fill this position to feed their families for a lot less.
Oh, and as far as safety is concerned, I'm sure OSHA has their back.
Folks, this is Rome burning. Have we not learned anything? This is not sustainable! I wonder what other 'perks' this individual has been offered. Company car? Health Care for life? 4 wks. pd. vacation?
greenjeans

Postby LetsBeReal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

OK, so by their own admission, they basically have a backlog, but are replacing them as fast as they blow out. In other words the backlog remains more or less the same. So at 10 bulbs a day, catching up on the backlog should take about 6 weeks (assuming a 5 day week) and getting up to date is a worthwhile spend.

Why, however, do we need to fund another position full time with all the long term obligations it brings? Wouldn't it be more sensible to hire contract help for the short term and whenever things get out of hand, and then use the money saved towards all those other things around town that need attending too?

Is this not obvious? Clearly the city can find money for things when they want to. At least be honest and say what else this position will be doing.
LetsBeReal

Postby da shaman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

I would think that the compensation of $80-100K/year actually includes medical, retirement contribution and whatever formulas the city factors into the wages. The person probably won't be grossing that much a year.
da shaman

Postby SaveOurCity » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

greenjeans wrote:@ Northbay.........In answer to your question no. I'm a 62 yr. old gent, and past my prime. I suspect that there are an abundance of unemployed 30/40 even 50 yr. old individuals that would be ecstatic to fill this position to feed their families for a lot less.
Oh, and as far as safety is concerned, I'm sure OSHA has their back.
Folks, this is Rome burning. Have we not learned anything? This is not sustainable! I wonder what other 'perks' this individual has been offered. Company car? Health Care for life? 4 wks. pd. vacation?

So greenjeans you are OPPOSED to employers giving 4 weeks vacation a year to all of their employees... even those with 10-20-30 years on the job? This is one instance where we, in this country, have it all wrong!!! All over the industrialized world (not including the sweat shops in Asia, etc.) 4 weeks vacation a year is the minimum... why? Because they realize that time with family and friends AND revitalizing are very important! If you don't get 4 weeks vacation in your current job you should be arguing for it... AND you should be supporting everyone else to have that opportunity!

Heck, it even makes great sense for the economy... with everyone taking 4 weeks, or more, vacation time each year employers would have to hire more people. More workers making more money, means more people spending money so that we can hire more people to make things....

As for the salary of this person... my bet it is about half of the quoted amounts in actual salary. A trained electrician to not only replace but to fix street lamps and traffic lights and you want to pay them McDonald's salary?

Fair and Reasonable... should apply.... just like Fox with Fair and Balanced...
SaveOurCity

Postby The Watcher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:15 am

Is it too much? Is it fair?

The problem noted is that Petaluma has a tendency to pay its employees (or at least some of them) way beyond what other cities of the same size pay (e.g. John Brown's pay is ~same as the city manager in Santa Rosa).

So perhaps the question is what would a city, say the size of Novato, pay it's "light changer"?

On the union comment, I think we've established that they have a monopoly here so that goes without saying.

And I agree, has anyone looked at the sustainability of this position given the new fiscal landscape?
The Watcher

Next

Return to Petaluma politics