Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Oh Where Oh Where Has King David Gone???

Got something to say on your local government? This is the place.

Oh Where Oh Where Has King David Gone???

Postby LongTimePetalumad » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:48 pm

I find it very interesting on how engaged Councilman Harris is with the community as compared to King David. All Harris would have to do is show up to a couple of community events and he would be miles ahead of King David. Instead, Harris is at multiple events each day (yes, I know it is election time) and unless it has a "Progressive Ring" to it, King David doesn't appear to have the time for his constituents. Or maybe the better reason is that he is not invited to these events. I guess it's time to get the mallet out and "Break the Glass" and elect someone who genuinely cares about P-Town, Mike Harris for Mayor!!
LongTimePetalumad

Re: Oh Where Oh Where Has King David Gone???

Postby petalumanick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 am

I will never forget the Memorial Day ceremony at the cemetery a few years back where Glass was to be the guest speaker. The Master of Ceremonies called him up to the podium....and there was dead silence. He was a no show and somehow failed to notify anyone that he wasn't attending. There was no one there to even represent his office. We all stood there stunned. I emailed him for an explanation, and I never got a response.
petalumanick

Postby LongTimePetalumad » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Just goes to show his true colors. He thinks he's above all without having to answer for his actions. Mike Harris has been to darn near every public event that is humanly possible to attend. He's there to support the kids at the ball fields as well as the elderly when they have functions. Truly an admirable person. Prior to getting to know Mike, I was of the opinion, "Anyone but King David!" Now that I have gotten to know Mike, I believe that he would represent the city well by listening to both sides of any topic and making the most informed decision. Being a 4th generation Petaluman, Mike Harris has my vote!
LongTimePetalumad

Postby SadPipal » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Honesty, I have to wonder about running for anything here. No matter what you do, you get criticized. Nobody is making any significant money by serving, yet have to endure all manner of personal attacks. It doesn't matter if it's Glass or Harris - it always gets nasty.

Please try to rise above it, select the candidate who best represents you, and respect these folks for trying to do their best.

As to David Glass being MIA, that's around the time he was seriously ill so that may be the explanation? You may not have got a reply for the same reason so cut him some slack.

Before you ask, I'm not a progressive, more a moderate, so my vote is not decided. I probably won't vote his way unless I weigh up all positions near the time.
SadPipal

Postby LongTimePetalumad » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:09 pm

Sadpipal, I understand where you are coming from and would agree to cut him some slack if attendance was my only reason for not voting for Glass. My real issue with him is that if you are not of like mind, he will not listen and will talk over you until frustration sets in. I have had this experience more than once. One would think that an elected official (no matter how much or how little compensated) would listen to their constituents, weigh their comments and explain their opinion in a professional manner. Unfortunately, this does not occur with the current mayor. For those that need some help in forming opinions on these two candidates, watching the council meetings Monday nights on community access might clear things up.
LongTimePetalumad

Postby SadPipal » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:08 pm

And I have to agree that those are valid, factual reasons, for not favoring a candidate, and I thank you for focusing your comment. I consider that rising above the mudslinging. I equally expect such behavior of someone elected to represent us. Candidates need to listen, be respectful of all opinions, as well as consider the options available, something that applies to all politicians regardless of their political tendencies. You raise a good point that I too would take into considering.

Mudslinging on personal opinions, personal attacks, and so on, have no place in a civilized democracy, by either politician or elector so let's hope we, the electorate, remember we're not voting for 'most popular'. Civility all round will make us a stronger community.
SadPipal

Postby Bear » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:40 pm

i base my vote on how a council member votes on the dias, not how many events they attend. right now, i am against a one cent sales tax that will go in the general fund. harris supports this and glass does not. why? because glass knows where the general sales tax money will go which is not where the people surveyed want it to go.
Bear

Return to Petaluma politics