Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Pepper's has closed.

Re: Pepper's has closed.

Postby TJMack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:12 pm

It's too bad that the property mgmt. couldn't have relocated Pepper's and Curves and some of the other businesses instead of just giving them harsh eviction notices.

I am all for change, but that corner is NOT a good location for a massive gas station/mini mart. Busses, traffic and congestion is already horrible there.

All you who think the gas prices are so good are not realizing that Safeway is raising their food prices to compensate. Duh, they are in it to make a profit! And the sale of cigarettes and junk food at the mini mart just contributes to expensive health problems.

I feel so sorry for all the employees and customers of Pepper's and the other businesses over this. Is it really necessary for Petaluma to become more congested like Los Angeles or San Jose? We have a stable population and more than enough gas stations already. Two of which are within walking distance from Safeway.

I don't shop at Safeway due to many other issues. Customer service at Raley's and Trader Joe's is much much better.

Best of luck and good wishes to the folks at Pepper's and the other businesses who were treated so poorly in this matter.

side note to Fulcrum Property Mgmt: Karma! ;)
TJMack

Postby Bear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

TJMack wrote:All you who think the gas prices are so good are not realizing that Safeway is raising their food prices to compensate. Duh, they are in it to make a profit!

provide facts/several examples of safeway raising their prices to compensate for gas prices. they are definitely the least expensive grocery store in town.
Bear

Postby Drake94954 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 pm

I agree, Safeway has the best all around prices and is always our first choice to shop at. Safeway is nearly always crowded for a reason, just look at Lucky's or Raley's, almost always empty for a reason. We stopped off at the Lakeville Lucky's last Saturday afternoon and I bet the store had a dozen customers, Safeway at the same time would have well over 100. As for gas, we routinely get 40 or 50 cents off per gallon because we shop there. That's a $12. or $13. savings for 25 gallons. Real money.
Drake94954

Postby TJMack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 am

Kind of getting off topic, but I can think of dozens of items that are cheaper at Trader Joe's and Raleys. Off the top of my head, eggs, multi-grain bread, cheese, half-n-half, almond milk, wine, peanuts, bananas, bagged lettuce, mushrooms, frozen items.

Raley's has an excellent health food section (which Safeway doesn't have) and they are always willing to special order anything for you. Their rewards card sends you cash rebate vouchers plus coupons four times a year.

So, fine, go ahead and make Petaluma a little bit more like LA with a massive traffic jam eyesore on that corner. Why don't you just leave your big old SUV at home and walk or bike to Safeway a few times a month and save money on gas that way? ;)
TJMack

Postby Drake94954 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am

Come now, you really think it would look like another LA street corner? Your obviously an older person that's afraid of change and against anything different. I also shop at those other stores at times but the bottom line is Safeway has 5 times more customers for a reason. Like it or not.

PS: I just earned another 50 cent reward off 25 gallons of gas thank you very much!
Drake94954

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:20 pm

While I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs, I won't miss Peppers. I'll get more value and convenience from another gas station than an over-priced, mediocre restaurant. hardly ate there and when I did, I wished i hadn't.
mikeg55

Postby Bear » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:48 pm

TJMack wrote:Why don't you just leave your big old SUV at home and walk or bike to Safeway a few times a month and save money on gas that way? ;)

it's a little difficult to come home with groceries on foot or bike. you must be a one and only family member.

you are stereotyping - i don't own a suv.
Bear

Postby whippis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 am

I for one am indifferent as to the closing of Pepper's. The landlord chose not to renew the lease as is their right. They are gambling on leasing it to Safeway for a gas station. It is their risk to take and it may pay off for their ownership. I have no issue with this. In fact if anything I support it. One may use one's personal property as one sees fit.

What does concern me is the grossness of Safeway and its gas stations. More precisely what I find gross is people's desire for what is being sold: low quality, heavily processed “food” sold in a chaotic, heavily commercialized store which I personally find unpleasant- bad lighting, loud, unattractive. The majority of the products sold come with excessive packaging from less then responsible companies (Conagra for one). I am by no means an environmentalist, anti-corporate, organic, global warmist person (quite the opposite really) but I do think if you are going to eat food you should eat natural food. Why buy “whipped topping” which is made from synthetic things when you can by Clover whipped cream for the same price? Or even less!? I am a Whole Foods shopper and while I agree that the produce and meat are more expensive especially if you buy organic I reject that WF is more expensive over all. Most items are comparable in cost/quantity except at WF it is an all-natural product. Yes organics cost more but you can get a pound of natural imported (non-organic) pasta for $.99

Safeway will offer discounted gas which only encourages consumption through more driving, which adds costs for repair and maintainance as well as increasing traffic, noise, pollution, and taxes our infrastructure. They take a loss on the gas becasue they know the club card program creates the appearance of savings to the consumer who actually spends more in the long term at Safeway (becasue the card ties them to the store- why pick up something elsewehere and get no points?).

Safeway is emblematic of our First World attitude- more for cheaper without a thought to consequences. Safeway is trying to maximize its shareholders' value as they should. Sadly, they encourge our bad behavior in doing so. It is our fault for not thinking about the tradeoffs. Or thinking they are justified, they are not.
Last edited by whippis on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whippis

Postby TJMack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Drake, sorry, I just assumed you probably had an SUV because you mentioned 25 gallons, and that's a large tank.

What's to say Safeway will not raise their gas prices in the coming months or years?

Oh, I do walk to G & G with my two canvas shopping bags. Takes me about 20 minutes. But I have learned NOT to buy a six-pack of Lagunitas IPA. Good, but way too heavy to carry. Hmmmm, guess I could have split up the bottles and put three in each ;)

I really don't have anything against the gas station -- just the location!
THAT CORNER IS WAY TOO CONGESTED ALREADY!
TJMack

Postby Drake94954 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Actually, per the city's traffic analysis of the area, traffic is down 23% from 5 years ago when Mervyn's was open. With the new onramp to NB 101 at Washington, the area is also "technically" less congested. All this will play into the property owners traffic impact report when it come out. As for it being a health/safety hazard to the nearby school, don't even try bringing that one up. Zero impact on health or safety from todays modern service stations. The state of California put a stop to all that years ago.
Drake94954

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurants