Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Petaluma Farms Eggs destroys Cavanaugh Lane

Petaluma Farms Eggs destroys Cavanaugh Lane

Postby njjjk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 am

Seems like there's more than the egg business happening at the end of Cavanaugh Lane. There are trucks and semis traveling up and down the small dirt road 24 hours a day. The owner of Petaluma Farms Eggs also owns and operates Rock Island Refrigerated Distributors. The company has an address on Transport Way but they run and park their trucks on Cavanaugh Lane. The neighborhood is ruined by the noise, dust, smell of diesel exhaust, reckless driving and potholes galore that plague everyone that lives and visits there. Property values in the beautiful country neighborhood are destroyed. No one asked the residents of the lane about bringing in a 24/7 trucking business yet the residents have to send letters to everyone if they plan on erecting a fence! Shame on the Mahrt family. They aren't family farmers (one of their brands is Judy's Family Farm Organic Eggs...HA!) They adamantly opposed Prop 2 which was designed specifically to stop the cruel and inhumane treatment of animals. Their industrial sized business, and the millions of dollars it lines their pockets with, comes first before the welfare of their neighbors, the people of Petaluma, and apparently their chickens. Don't buy their eggs. Rather, patronize the local family farmers that care about their hens and you.
njjjk

Re: Petaluma Farms Eggs destroys Cavanaugh Lane

Postby dustyalley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I couldn't have said it better, not only do the neighbors have to contend with the nusiance, we no longer have our road maintained by the county, to whom we pay taxes, for road maintenance. I agree, next time you buy eggs, check out some of the other farms, who really DO let their laying hens get some REAL sunshine, and fresh air, not enclosed houses. They do exist. As for a large scale trucking company here, is out of line, how would Mr. Mahrt like to take his Rock Island Refrigerated Distribution business to his neighborhood? I bet not! This is NOT a "business park" on Cavanaugh Lane. Maybe we should really thank our District 2 Board of Supervisors, who evidently allowed this.
dustyalley

Postby helpmeout » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Obviously the writers have some personal complaint against Mahrt and support Prop 2. I don't know the guy, but get the facts straight before believing their slanderous comments.
Google map 700 Cavanaugh Lane and you'll see there are at least 4 other commercial operations off the street. There has been a family operated commercial egg operation here for over 50 years. Skippy's Wholesale operated out of here for at least 20 years.

I believe Mr. Mahrt sells organic eggs that meet every current standard. Prop 2 hasn't yet gone into effect, but it doesn't require free range chickens out in the open sunshine. Everyone should buy whatever product they want. Support animal rights, be vegetarian, but don't throw out charges at people without knowing what you are talking about.
helpmeout

Postby njjjk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Here are the facts...The commercial businesses on Cavanaugh Lane, other than the Mahrt's, are less intrustive and abusive. The neighbors and the businesses lived in harmony for years. In the past, most of the traffic on the road consisted of people driving out to pick up some eggs. Everything changed a little over a year ago when the increase in truck traffic began. And why? And who okayed it? And what are they hauling back and forth past the family homes? The people in the neigborhood were never given a heads up or given a chance to ask questions and voice their opinion about how the Mahrt's business would impact them and their living conditions.They can't even open a window on a beautiful day because of all the dust, noise and exhaust spewing from the trucks. Don't believe me? Pay a visit sometime and watch the trucks coming and going all day long and you'll see who the trucks belong to. Why support a business who's owners don't give a hoot about their neighbor's living conditions and concerns? Not to mention that of their chickens.
njjjk

Postby dustyalley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Let me clarify this: It has NOT been an egg ranch for over 50 years, not quite. Read again, the complaint concerns the semi-truck traffic 24/7, on an unstable, unmaintained road, is the problem; Rock Island Refrigerated Distribution is running out of an area that IS NOT industrial, and it isn't just eggs being transported. I'm quite positive YOU would not be happy had this large business moved into your immediate neighborhood. And yes, you can buy your eggs anywhere you choose, remember, you get what you pay for!!!
dustyalley

Postby dustyalley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm

This reply is to "helpmeout".... you say "they "are making "slanderous" remarks. I'd like to clarify this one, too. These are the real FACTS, not just some remarks. .
dustyalley

Postby fxlnll » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm

this sounds like buying a house near the dump and now complaining about the smell. THis is in the "country", what did you expect?
fxlnll

Postby dustyalley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 am

Ah, I see that "fxlnll", doesn't know the facts, either. Open mouth, insert foot...
dustyalley

Postby helpmeout » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 pm

The egg ranch and egg processing facility was built in about 1960
helpmeout

Postby fxlnll » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:16 pm

dustyalley wrote:Ah, I see that "fxlnll", doesn't know the facts, either. Open mouth, insert foot...

what fact don't I know. The fact that Cavanaugh lane not in the country?
fxlnll

Next

Return to Your Neighborhood