Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

New development, and empty storefronts being filled

Post here if you'd like to request information or have a question for Petaluma-area residents.

Re: New development, and empty storefronts being filled

Postby vlc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 am

We could really use a fabric/sewing store. I am also one of the town residents who hate driving out of town and giving my sales tax dollars to another comumnity!
vlc

Postby PennyMoney » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am

Yes, we do need a fabric store. Maybe JoAnn Fabrics will come back to Petaluma. There's certainly enough empty retail space around. Maybe return to the Plaza South (the empty Avenue Store?) Or the Wherehouse location.....
or part of Safeway.....

Sew what :!:
PennyMoney

Postby TJMack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:38 am

Just found out the Toys R Us Express is NOW OPEN at the Petaluma Outlet Mall (the mattress store moved) and it is in the old KB Toys location. BIG BOOST for the mall! Noticed the Food Court is completely closed......maybe with the extra shopping traffic, something will open there.
TJMack

Postby mikeg55 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:27 am

TJMack wrote:Just found out the Toys R Us Express is NOW OPEN at the Petaluma Outlet Mall (the mattress store moved) and it is in the old KB Toys location. BIG BOOST for the mall! Noticed the Food Court is completely closed......maybe with the extra shopping traffic, something will open there.

cool! But i think those are like Spirit stores. Just temporary. Once Christmas is over, I think it will be gone.
mikeg55

Postby StickeyWicket » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 am

Do we know for a fact it's a temp pop-up store?

Although it would be nice to see the Toys R us Express as a permanent fixture, the sales tax will benefit Petaluma no matter how long they stay.

I miss KayBee toys and would really appreciate a permanent local toy store negating the drive to RP or SR.
StickeyWicket

Postby HobbyTown USA » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi StickeyWicket,

I apologize for sounding like a stuck record, but please give HobbyTown a look before driving up to RP or SR.

We ARE a full line toy store too and have been located next to Trader Joe's for 8 years. Some of the toy lines we carry include:

Lego, Playmobil, Thomas and Friends, Melissa and Doug, Calico Critters, Schleich, Breyer, Alex, and many more. We also have train tables, a play BLANK, and a marble run for kids to play with while you shop.

We also do free gift wrap.

Let me know if there is something else you would like me to consider carrying.

Steven Elliott
www.htupetaluma.com
HobbyTown USA

Postby mikeg55 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 am

I've noticed at Hobbytown that your prices are a little high on the Legos and a few times I've been chased out if I come in near closing time. Nobody goes "We're closing in 5 minutes!!!" when I walk into Toys R Us. You wanted feedback . . .
mikeg55

Postby HobbyTown USA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Definitely, thanks for the response Mike.

I try to do the best I can on pricing but there is no way I can beat Target or TRU. (Sometimes they are selling close to or even below my cost on items) I try to make it up with service and free community events - like our free Lego play day and contest this Saturday.

I apologize if you felt rushed the other night. I instruct employees to let people know when we approach closing time and to offer help making a selection, but we will wait as long as the customer needs to shop. I will review with my employees about not seeming pushy.

Thanks,
Steven Elliott
www.htupetaluma.com
HobbyTown USA

Postby Schweinsteiger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:51 pm

These posts are becoming a joke on these forums.

People hate that target and the big box stores are coming to town because the locally owned stores will be hurt and quite possibly will go out of business because of these new additions to the neighborhood.

Then one of the locally owned stores comes on and says “hey we are here come check us out” and someone starts saying they were rude and the prices are too high. The saying “You can please some people some of the time but not please all of them all of the times” really comes to mind here. Folks big companies (Target, Toys R us) can buy more units so the cost is less when they purchase so they don’t have to charge as much, smaller places cannot so they don’t get that price break and do have to charge a little more in order to stay in business. Regardless when in business, if you don’t make a profit, you go out of business.
Schweinsteiger

Postby HobbyTown USA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for understanding the plight of the independent local retailer Schweinsteiger.

I know I can't please everyone but, by commenting, Mike gives me a chance to review and hopefully improve the experience in my store. Customer comments are always better than silence.

As a double-check, I checked TRU on the web today and they are offering a "huge" Lego sale. Even so, our prices were around $5 to $10 higher than the "sale" price on medium to large sets. For some people that is too high and it is OK for them to go to TRU. For others our convenience, service, and community activity is worth the higher price and I do all I can to continue to deserve their business.

Steven Elliott
www.htupetaluma.com
HobbyTown USA

PreviousNext

Return to Just Asking