Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

street sweeping

Post here if you'd like to request information or have a question for Petaluma-area residents.

street sweeping

Postby vlc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 am

Why is the city wasting money on weekly street sweeping? In my new neighborhood on the east side, with all the cars parked on the street, all that gets swept is the bike lane. Why not use the money to repair some pot holes or replace burnt out street lights?
vlc

Re: street sweeping

Postby nightowl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:54 am

In my neighborhood (also on the east side of town), nobody parks on the street. I really appreciate the weekly clean-up that the street sweepers do, especially when the garbage trucks have dropped clippings or other items in the gutters the day before.
nightowl

Postby vlc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Well then how do we get overnight parkers off the street the night after garbage pick up? Some of these cars haven't moved since I moved in 2mos ago. Most have expired tags!!! I thought there was a 72hr limit?
vlc

Postby Bear » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm

i too am glad our garbage company is cleaning the streets once a week. vlc, have you ever thought about calling the police and reporting the cars that haven't moved in over two months as well as having expired tags? i would have done that after one week of a car not moving, especially since they are not registered. common sense tells me those cars are never moving.
Bear

Postby me & my arrow » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:09 pm

The city where I used to live had posted "no parking" from 7am to 4pm for street sweeping day. The parking police used to literally follow the street sweeper down the street and put tickets on cars that were in violation. Knowing that the parking police would be right there behind the truck kept people pretty honest about moving their cars. The streets get cleaned, and the city gets revenue for people who don't move their cars for that one day. That could work really well here. My particular street has big sycamore trees that shed like crazy, so it's rather nice that the sweepers help keep debris out of the street and rain gutters, but they would certainly do a better job if cars were out of their way. One day inconvenience isn't a big deal once you get used to it.
me & my arrow

Postby fxlnll » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:26 pm

me & my arrow wrote:The city where I used to live had posted "no parking" from 7am to 4pm for street sweeping day. The parking police used to literally follow the street sweeper down the street and put tickets on cars that were in violation.

Great just what we need is the parking police nazis in Petaluma. This ain't Frisco! If you want to live in a place like that move! Sweep your own curb area. I say get rid of the sweeper. That should fill in a pot hole or two. By that way that is not called revenue. That is called extortion .
fxlnll

Postby Drake94954 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 pm

I believe the city gets the street sweeping for free, sort of. As part of the city garbage contract they also have to to provide sweeping for the city. The city gave up its own sweeper service years ago. And as a side note, our city council is about to approve another rate increase for garbage.
Drake94954

Postby TJMack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 am

It would be ideal if residents would move their cars for a couple hours so the sweeper can do it's job.

There is gunk build-up next to these cars that never move. What it really needs is a shovel. This gunk and debris is what stuffs up our storm drains during heavy rains.

There is a 72-hour limit on street parking. Call the Community Service Officer if it bothers you.

We had an ugly boat parked across the street for years. The cheapskate owner moved it back and forth twelve inches to get out of paying for boat storage :?
TJMack

Postby me & my arrow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:28 pm

"Great just what we need is the parking police nazis in Petaluma. This ain't Frisco! If you want to live in a place like that move! Sweep your own curb area. I say get rid of the sweeper. That should fill in a pot hole or two. By that way that is not called revenue. That is called extortion ."

Good lord! Way to have a polite discussion. Why don't we get rid of all public services. Would that make you happy? What a child.
me & my arrow

Postby fxlnll » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:50 pm

me & my arrow wrote:"Great just what we need is the parking police nazis in Petaluma. This ain't Frisco! If you want to live in a place like that move! Sweep your own curb area. I say get rid of the sweeper. That should fill in a pot hole or two. By that way that is not called revenue. That is called extortion ."

Good lord! Way to have a polite discussion. Why don't we get rid of all public services. Would that make you happy? What a child.

what was un-polite about asking if you want Petaluma to become Frisco? And no one was talking about public services. Though it would be nice to have a few less services. Maybe they can balance the budget then. Like someone mention earlier it was a bone the garbage company threw in to get a contract. The city should have just said not needed, we want a lower rate. I can sweep my own yard. Now that was polite calling people (me) names. Ouch! that hurts.
fxlnll

Next

Return to Just Asking