Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Why Petaluma?

Post here if you'd like to request information or have a question for Petaluma-area residents.

Why Petaluma?

Postby mocaloca » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 am

Hi,

I'm Moca and I live in Australia with my 4 y/o son. I am 1/2 american and we are moving back to the states next Feb. I have chosen Petaluma for a few reasons and one because it seems to have a nice vibe.

I am curious to know why YOU have chosen Petaluma instead of the other areas around such as Rohnet Park, Cotati, Santa Rosa etc... Is it just because it is a little closer to city or is there something more special about the town?

What are the best zip codes to live but yet affordable?

Thanks a lot!

Moca
mocaloca

Re: Why Petaluma?

Postby PetalumaPete » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 am

Downtown Petaluma is what makes Petaluma different to me.
Compare it with the surrounding areas.
Caase closed. :-)
PetalumaPete

Postby lumagrl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 am

Petaluma is a beautiful family town. Grew up in Marin and I knew I rather raise my kids in Petaluma. Not to knock Marin because I love visiting Marin. But Marin is too materialistic.
lumagrl

Postby mikeg55 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 pm

I chose Petaluma because I wanted to buy an affordable house. Plus my parents lived here. However, you may wish to vacation here first before you just move in. I'd say there is a definite dichotomy between the west and east sides of Petaluma. that "vibe" you describe is on the west side. In my experience, the residence of the west side or "old Petaluma" tend to think quite highly of themselves and the sanctity of their downtown and the "river". These progressives believe what is best for downtown is best for the city as a whole. Big business had been discouraged in lieu of boutiques and restaurants. The city is in financial trouble, the most obvious indication being the condition of the streets. Over the objection of the progressive contingent and due to some questionable payoffs to them, 2 shopping centers with big box stores were finally approved. It is hoped that the tax revenue will make the city solvent again despite the progressives whining about the loss of Petaluma's character. We have had a huge influx of Latinos and we now have gangs in Petaluma. I think racism has increased as well due to Latinos moving into formerly all white schools and neighborhoods. Property taxes are quite high with the addition of several parcel taxes to make the bill even higher. Petaluma is a lot better than say living in Vallejo or something like that. But it is far from perfect. Just my thoughts. Good Luck.
mikeg55

Postby da shaman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 pm

moved out of San Francisco in the early 70's as it was becoming a real dump-politically, morally, and physically. A real eyesore. Got taken over by a lot of zeroes who still believed it was the Mecca for hippie and freethinkers. Moved to Marin and saw the same thing happen there but much slower-I guess it was the influx of BMW's and the "hottub" mentality. Left there in '94. Loved Petaluma except for the politics and nowhere to shop. I fear that it will eventually share the same fate as California. Go to Nevada or Utah or one of the Dakotas. Give your kid a chance for a good education.
da shaman

Return to Just Asking