Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Donations

Post here if you'd like to request information or have a question for Petaluma-area residents.

Donations

Postby the scar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 pm

The stores I visit in petaluma Safeway, Cvs, K-Mart ,ect are always asking for donations for verious causes.However I never see a sign posted saying our customers donated X amount of money for Breast Cancer or whatever cause. Do these companys donate our donations in there name and get a tax write off ? :? :?: I would really like to know,the managers dont have any idea !!
the scar

Re: Donations

Postby Drake94954 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:19 am

Although I'm sure all the money goes to good causes, it's all about PR for these stores and making us think they support the local community.
Drake94954

Postby 2182 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Excellent question about the tax deduction, Mr. Scar!

Postby the scar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm back again I asked this question Dec 2012? Safeway,CvS, K Mart and others asking for donations Prostrate Cancer @ Safeway I'm wheeling my cart down the frozen food isle and over the PA system comes an announcment that One in Six men will get Prostrate Cancer please donate,Whats next ? Attention Teenagers are getting VD in alarming numbers, please donate for safe sex clinics ? ;) They dont tell us how much they collect, or in whos name are the donations comming from Safeways?? or its Customers ? No one knows . I would like to see a sign over the customer service area stating that the customers form this store donated X amount of $$$$$$$. The manager cant Say !!! :?
the scar

Postby JEH » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:41 am

Prostrate cancer? What's that???? ;) I hope I don't get cancer from being prostrated.

Why don't you stop shopping at Safeway? Prices and service at Raley's are much better. And they don't ask you for donations. You can contribute your loose change at the register to the Food Bank containers if you choose to do so. Sign up for their rewards card and they will send you a $$ check in the mail four times a year.

Safeway still owns the lease on the old empty Safeway. How selfish.
JEH

Postby mikeg55 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:23 am

JEH wrote:Prostrate cancer? What's that???? ;) I hope I don't get cancer from being prostrated.

Why don't you stop shopping at Safeway? Prices and service at Raley's are much better. And they don't ask you for donations. You can contribute your loose change at the register to the Food Bank containers if you choose to do so. Sign up for their rewards card and they will send you a $$ check in the mail four times a year.

Safeway still owns the lease on the old empty Safeway. How selfish.

I wonder when the lease is up? i doubt they'd renew it. Plus aren't leases paid ahead of time? I can see them holding on to it until it expires if they already paid for it.
mikeg55

Postby localmom » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 am

Leases are a contract, so likely Safeway has a contractual obligation to pay the monthly rent on that space. Having said that, the landlord of their new space is the same as their original space. I'm sure it was all negotiated.

My best guess is that Safeway wants to keep the rights to their old space so they can control who sub-lets it. They probably don't want to see a competitor move in there.
localmom

Postby TJMack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am

Yep, you're probably right. It's all about the control. So who is actually paying for that extra lease? Customers! That's part of the reason Safeway has raised their prices so much. Paying for an empty store..... :twisted:
TJMack

Postby localmom » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:53 am

But do you think that the Petaluma Safeway charges different prices for it's merchandise than other Safeways? Don't you think all of that stuff is SKU'd out of Corporate?

Or are you saying that Safeway in general is more expensive than its competitors?

I would guess that the leasing costs are part of one big line item at Corporate. Leasing rates were down, so maybe they got such a great deal on the new space that eating a year or two of the old lease made it worth it. Hard to say without knowing the real details.

The one nice thing about nothing being in that middle space is that you can finally find a parking space without circling for ten minutes!
localmom

Return to Just Asking